Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dilema.....

My faithful 2003 4cyl 5speed Accord LX has developed a rattle that I notice in 2 situations:

At startup there is a small rattle that is new in the last week.

Letting the clutch out (Especially in reverse). If you give the clutch a little extra.....let it out kind quick and push it back in while backing up it rattles the loudest.

This rattle is not noticeable in any other gear (maybe a small rattle in 1st).

Any ideas? Maybe it's an exhaust component rattling? Something in the cluthc?

Car has 145K miles on it. Everything on the car is original stock Honda.

Thank You

·
Ken
349 Posts
Rattle like an actual clattering sound or rattle as in vibration and shaking of the whole car?

My dad's Solara has the latter, clutch chatter. We opened it up and found some oil on the clutch surface which was causing the chattering. It was so bad during take-off that the whole car would shake. Each time we came to a complete stop the car would only move smoothly if we accelerated slooooowly with the clutch feathered.

So yea, actual noise or vibration?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Just to repeat...when in neutral, if the clutch is in (pedal pushed to floor), there is no noise. When the clutch is out, there is noise. Even when it is in gear, you might still hear a rattle when the clutch is out. If that is correct, it may be your throw out bearing.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Conditions you describe are when the exhaust is shaking causing classic heat sheild rattle. If you have never had your heat shield come loose in the life of the car then it is probably that. Im suprised it lasted this long. Take it off, problem solved.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
+1 on throw out bearing

·
2003 I4 Noble Green EX
84 Posts
Conditions you describe are when the exhaust is shaking causing classic heat sheild rattle. If you have never had your heat shield come loose in the life of the car then it is probably that. Im suprised it lasted this long. Take it off, problem solved.
Don't do this! The heat shield keeps heat from the exhaust system and catalytic converter from damaging adjacent structures. If it is rattling, have it re-welded or secure it so it won't rattle.

You don't want problems like the MGA had, with the exhaust running right under the driver side floorboards. You always knew when your carbs were set too lean, because the soles of your tennis shoes would stick to the floorboards from the excess exhaust heat!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Don't do this! The heat shield keeps heat from the exhaust system and catalytic converter from damaging adjacent structures. If it is rattling, have it re-welded or secure it so it won't rattle.

You don't want problems like the MGA had, with the exhaust running right under the driver side floorboards. You always knew when your carbs were set too lean, because the soles of your tennis shoes would stick to the floorboards from the excess exhaust heat!
Your funny and what kind of structures you talking about under the car?

I have had mine off for a good while with zero problems including no tennis shoes sticking or my feet catching fire because my carbs are running too lean.

The mounts for the shield go making it hard to fix without replacing and it is darn near impossible to clamp the rusted one (I tried). Even took it to a muffler shop to explore welding it on with no luck (again, the mounts rust).

This issue has been discussed at nausea on this forum. Take a read if interested and let us know what you do.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52736&highlight=heat+shield

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for the advice. I would lean toward the heat shield rattle as there is no noise at all when in neutral with the clutch pedal up or down. There also seems to be no noise when in motion. This only happens when you start the engine and when you are engaging the clutch from a stand-still. It seems to be louder when engaging the clutch in reverse than it is in 1st gear.

Question.....Where is this heat shield located and would it hopefully be an easy thing to see a missing / loose bolt?

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Long live HONDA - 142K miles and I have never replaced ANYTHING except a brake job. My buddy has a Chevy with less miles that has had many thousands of $$$ worth of repairs.....ha f'in ha ha ha.....Impala.....really???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts