Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2003 Honda Accord with a clutch which is slipping heavily - close to being unable to safely drive.

I have a mechanic who can replace the clutch for me, but need recommendations on which parts to buy for him to put into my car.

I don't want to spend too much on this - obviously - so what would you all recommend for me to purchase to give to him?

My current plan:
- Clutch kit from Exedy - $277 (HCK1005)
- Flywheel from local auto wrecker - $80

My main worry with my current plan is this - is it a good idea to put a used flywheel into my car given the amount of labour it takes to replace the clutch? Ideally I am thinking I should put a new one in, but on Exedy this part costs upwards of $400...

Thanks very much,
Isaac

·
Rollin in FL
1,117 Posts
Did you bother to check your local dealership's part center? They can obviously battle each other to give you a brand new part for cheap. And, if you really want to have your tranny pulled out within a year or two again for the flywheel, then go ahead and get it from the local junkyard; if you don't, then get an OE or Honda flywheel for the tranny. Also, you gotta check your wallet if you can afford the job for the flywheel replacement if you go to the route of getting a used one.

I found a Honda Flywheel for a great price:
https://www.collegehillshondaparts....zZWRhbiZ5PTIwMDMmdD1seCZlPTUtc3BlZWQtbWFudWFs

Just PM CHH on this forum when you create your account and you will get a better discount; However shipping wise, I am not sure how long it will take for the part to be sent to your mech.

·
7th Gear
1,444 Posts
Exedy HCK1001 comes with the flywheel, though I would invest in an OEM throwout bearing, since the Exedy ones tend to rattle prematurely.

Also a good idea to replace the rear main seal, since the R&R is so expensive when pulling the trans.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The Exedy clutch kit is a good choice.

If want to use that junkyard flywheel, you have to get it resurfaced. But that being said, the flywheel in your car is probably fine, and just also needs a resurfacing. Maybe the technician doesn't want his lift tied up while the flywheel is resurfaced and wants new parts ready to install. I don't know.

The HCK1001 kit mentioned above seems like a very good choice too.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Could just take some sand paper to it. Clutches aren’t exactly rocket science

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,608 Posts
Could just take some sand paper to it. Clutches aren’t exactly rocket science
So your recommendation is to pull the whole thing apart, sand it down with some paper and put it all back together and drive it?

Wow, stellar advice right here folks...... NOT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts