Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched around this forum and on google in general but havent come up with anything solid. I am looking for a guide on changing the transmission fluid on my '03 V6 6MT. I have seen good guides and even videos for all the other years and types, but nothing about the 6MT on the 7th gen. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good writeup or video? I basically just need the no-frills "this is the drain plug, this is the fill plug, this is the easiest way to tackle it" kind of thing. I have the fluid, the washers, and a parts drawing of the transmission case, but I am afraid to go pulling bolts off every which way until its out of fluid and then forcing the new stuff in one of its many holes. :D

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...gry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=MT+TRANSMISSION+CASE+(V6)

Item 19 is the drain bolt, you kind of have to orient the drawing to how the transmission case is installed in the car.

I use a bolt on the top of the transmission case to fill rather than the side fill hole which is suppose to be opened so the fluid will flow out when reaching the right level, IIRC I put 2.5L of the fluid in.

Make sure you can loosen this top fill bolt FIRST before draining! I had to buy a long 1/2" extension bar to loosen the bolt, and that's after hitting it with a cordless electric impact wrench without success on the first try, it was very tight for whatever reason. I also found removing the battery and some air intake plumbing made things a lot easier to work around.

Last tip, use GM friction modifie synchromesh fluid, it's the magical solution for this transmission!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips! The big thing i was unsure about was the fill bolt, I was worried the only way was on the side through the check bolt. I have the synchromesh that everyone recommends for the honda manual trannys. Someone ought to put a link to that post in the 7th gen faq, it talks about the shifting problems but nothing about DIY fluid changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts