Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Accord where the AC compressor, evaporator was replaced about 3 years ago. Roughly, last year I noticed a sometimes loud goose honking sound when the car is idling with the AC running. The AC is cold and works perfectly except for a honking sound about every 3 minutes or so only at idle. I am unable to tell where it is coming from, it is kind of inconsistent. It also has to be running for about 10 minutes for it to start making the noise. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
131 Posts
A recording may be useful to try identifying the "loud goose honking". Post a recording and then link it.
Thinking out loud: It could be freon being released due to a leak if sounds is from engine bay.
If sounds is from inside cabin area, most likely one of the HVAC motors are going bad. Blend motor, mode motor, or the 3rd one (can't recall right now)
Using a mechanic stethoscope could isolate the noise. There are other method also like using a screwdriver to try isolating locality.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I assume this is an automatic climate system. The sound you are hearing is one of the air flow doors moving. I have a very similar sound coming from my Acura RDX.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it is a manual climate system. It does sound like it is originating form behind the dash though. I can try a post a sound/video of it occurring. It is pretty loud when it occurs and sounds just like a Goose Honk (best description)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts