Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 Accord was having trouble starting (turns over weakly) and finally would not start at all. I charged up the battery - which is only 4 months old -- but the car still would not start at all. I tried jumpstarting with my neighbor's help, but that didn't work either. I removed the battery and had it checked at the store, and they said it was fine. So I guess the problem is elsewhere, maybe the starter or the relay ...

I put the battery back in the car and asked my helper to turn the ignition key while I whack the starter with a stick. That didn't start the car. And I didn't hear anything, except maybe one muffled click.

Then I noticed that the lights and dashboard are dark, and the key fob isn't working. No electrical power in the car. I checked again that the battery is installed with correct polarity, so that's not the problem. My partner can't remember if the dash lights came on when she tried to start it.

So I have a car that won't start and shows no electrical power. I am not sure where to start. My guess is maybe the starter is bad, and when I whacked it with the stick it drew a lot of current and blew a fuse. But that's just guessing. Any suggestions what to try next?

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,262 Posts
Your starter is shot, whatever you "try" can not bring it back.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The main power fuse is #22. The fuse panel under the hood, if that is blown the entire car will not have power. If you did connect the battery cable backwards or jumped backwards that fuse will open to protect every thing.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem was a bad ground connection. When I tightened that up, the car started just fine.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The problem was a bad ground connection. When I tightened that up, the car started just fine.
Great to hear, always start at the basics. The battery cables and the ground cables being clean and tight solves most intermittent issues.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DonutLimo
1 - 5 of 5 Posts