Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 EX with the 3.0L V6. It's an extra car at this point and rarely gets driven. Quite some time ago (18 months or so), the A/C intermittently started blowing hot, then cold until a point that it no longer blew cold air.

Though we didnt really mind at the time...we are starting to need to drive the car more often and the lack of Air in Arizona is not good. I went ahead and paid the Honda Dealership their $125 diagnostic fee to give me a break down of whats wrong. Though at first they gave me very little info..only recommending replacing virtually every component (Compressor, Clutch, Coil and PCM Assembly). When pressed (more like refusing to pay unless they gave me an ACTUAL DIAGNOSIS)...they gave me the following information:

'A/C Compressor is not engaging. Coil is not receiving power when commanded on by PCM. Checked Entire Coil Circuit. Grounded control wire at PCM. Coil Circuit now has battery voltage however coil is not engaging. Compressor coil has internal open circuit and PCM is failing to ground coil relay.'

Honda says that they will not warranty the work unless they perform all of the 'recommended' repairs (all $2600 of it)...but others are telling me that only the coil needs to be replaced (based off this diagnosis).

So - the question is...Is the Coil something that can be replaced by a novice? Is it a part which can purchased at AutoZone, etc.? Exactly which coil should I be searching for (clutch coil? Field Coil? Something else?)

Any and all help would be appreciated...as I simply cannot afford a $2600 fix for this car.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
I was never able to find the coil. But last summer I bought another compressor from a local junk yard to get the coil from it. It took all day to replace the coil (snap rings are a ROYAL PAIN to remove while on the car).

So, no, you can't buy the coil by itself.

And no, it isn't really what I would consider a "novice" job. My grandson almost learned a whole bunch of bad words while I was changing it (he's my helper).

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts