Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 2004 Accord LX and some time ago the audio system started acting up. At first, while listening to the radio, there would be a loud "pop" followed by silence. The screen on the radio face would look normal but no sound would be coming out. It was same for all functions...CD, AM, FM. Then, next time I would start it, everything would return to normal. This would repeat once or twice a week until soon, it wouldn't come back on when I started it. Sometimes it would come back on all by itself for no reason. Then the "pops" would become longer (and uncontrolled by the volume knob) and the radio would go off for longer periods of time. I replaced the radio the other day and, although the display looks like everything is fine, no sound whatsoever. Not even static. It looks like the radio is working fine but the speakers (all of the speakers) are not. I don't know a lot about electronics but someone suggested that it could be the amp. I don't even know if I have an amp much less where it would be. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
455 Posts
it's either the amp or a bad radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the radio (although I did at first) because I've replaced the radio with the same results. Can you tell me where I can find the amp?

·
Registered
455 Posts
if you were in an 08-12 model i could :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's the radio (although I did at first) because I've replaced the radio with the same results. Can you tell me where I can find the amp?
did you find an answer to your issue, as I have a 2004 accord and I have the same problem. No sound, yet all the buttons work great... I also have no back light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ted,
I have NOT found a fix for this problem and have been without a radio for two years now. Additional research has suggested that the problem may be corroded speakers in the doors but I haven't looked into this yet. I was also told that faulty amps built into the radios have been a problem with these radios but because they are built into the radio you would need to replace with a new radio and the problem may occur again. Good luck finding the solution and please update this thread if you do.
Jeff

·
2004 Accord Sedan LX
39 Posts
I think it's more than likely a faulty radio. Ted, I have a 2004 Accord as well and my factory radio also went out. Backlight is intermittent, although it has been working fine for the past few months. You can try your luck with another Honda radio but who knows how long a replacement will last. I replaced the cubby with a Metra kit and Pioneer deck, problem solved.

·
07 Accord LE
2 Posts
Faulty radio?!

I think it's more than likely a faulty radio. Ted, I have a 2004 Accord as well and my factory radio also went out. Backlight is intermittent, although it has been working fine for the past few months. You can try your luck with another Honda radio but who knows how long a replacement will last. I replaced the cubby with a Metra kit and Pioneer deck, problem solved.
My 2007 Accord LX has had this intermittent working/not working for over a year now. Since I mainly use iphone, I've not need to use it or need for it. So going to the Best Buy and getting their audio system "should" solve this once and for all?

·
HK Moderator
14,048 Posts
There are some excellent write-ups and threads here at DriveAccord about the 7th Gen's radio problem including the backlight issue, as well as the "pop" and no more sound.

I won't re-iterate here as you can find by searching, but basically your radio head unit is dead. You can buy a replacement with a 90 day warranty from a bone yard, or replace the radio with aftermarket.

Good luck.

·
Cruising in Montana
3,724 Posts
It isn't corrosion in the speakers. The dashboard speakers won't get corroded, neither will the rear deck speakers. Since the front door speakers are on a separate channel from the rear speakers, the rear speakers should still work (I think the front door and dashboard speakers are on the same circuit.)

You need a new radio. Call local car radio shops and see if they have any such units removed from customer cars. 14 years on however, maybe not.

·
2004 Accord Sedan LX
39 Posts
My 2007 Accord LX has had this intermittent working/not working for over a year now. Since I mainly use iphone, I've not need to use it or need for it. So going to the Best Buy and getting their audio system "should" solve this once and for all?
Yes. I'm not 100% sure of what you mean by "I mainly use iphone." An aftermarket radio will have AUX/USB/BT to play audio from your iPhone.

I bought a Pioneer DEH-X7800BHS off of Amazon and the Metra 99-7862 Lower Dash Single DIN Installation Kit (sorry, can't post links yet). They also make a double-din kit if you want to go that route. I had planned on installing it myself but I ended up paying Best Buy to do it. I can't remember how much, I can look into that if you need more information. This kit allows the original radio and thermostat to retain power (but not sound) along with your new aftermarket radio below it.

Installing a replacement factory radio would likely be the easier and more affordable option (especially if you do it yourself), but it likely won't last forever.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,033 Posts
If one of your speaker wires is bad, it could be cutting sound to the whole thing. Try disconnecting each speaker individually at a time and see if the sound comes back. Try the front ones first. It took me weeks to figure out in my 2002 Cavalier that the right door speaker being bad was causing the entire radio to stop emitting sound at random. I cut the wires to that speaker at the wiring harness behind the radio, the sound came back on and never cut out again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts