Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF has a 2004 accord V6 in Southern California. We tried to start the car today and it would not crank.
When I opened the car door,the light on the bottom of the door turned on. She couldn't open the trunk with the remote. I checked the battery fluid level and added a little distilled water. The level was not too low, still above the plates. I did not overfill it, just added a little extra. We tried to jump the battery for a few minutes, but it did not appear to do anything. The car didn't crank. The dash did light up when I placed the key in the ignition. But then the dash light started to flicker a couple of times and then stopped. I tried the remote trunk button and it worked this time. I then tried the door lock on the remote and it locked the doors. I then tried to open the doors and it did not work. I could see the driver's door lock move slightly, but not all the way to unlock the door.

Do you think that the battery needs to be charged more with the jumper cables? Is it an electrical issue? A couple of times before today we did notice that the transmission light on the dash that indicates if the car is in Park,Neutral or Drive went out, but the car still worked. Could this be a sign of electrical issues? If anyone has any ideas/suggestions I would appreciate it. I will check the fuses in the car and under the hood to see if they are good tomorrow.

Is this something common for the main relay issue, that other model years have reported?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Try cleaning the battery connections, both on the battery and cables. It sounds like they aren't making good contact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The contacts were clean. For some reason the battery would not hold a charge. Replaced it and the car started right up. I'm kinda surprised that it only last approx. 4 years. Oh well, at least the car is back on the road.

Thanks again.

·
I snapped my G string....
3,865 Posts
If im not mistaken, batteries only last about 4 years or less. Although i have seen battereies last as long as 7 to 10 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts