Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
The vibration occurs only when the car is accelerating between 55-60mph and then it goes away. There are no issues at any other speeds. Although, the steering wheel feels fine and smooth, I feel the vibration within the rest of the car. I've also had a rotate & balance done, but it didn't help.

It's an 04 Accord 55K miles, 4cyl, auto. The tires are still new and I recently had the front rotors and rear brake drums resurfaced.

p.s. I've done searches on this site, but have not seen any definitive answers yet.

Thanks....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can be wheel balancing. Try balance your wheels again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
axles

Thanks for all the replies...
I guess it figures that as soon as my extended warranty expired in June, I get this problem.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Definately agree on the axles. however advance auto parts has a better price than napa for a new axle. ~$70. each

I just had to replace the passenger side axle for other reasons (it snapped in half) and this has resolved my 60 mph vibration

·
Registered
52 Posts
wow i have had the same problem .. car shakes/vibrates when i accelerate between 60-65 (one main reason why i speed .. have to keep above speed limit) ..when i let off it stops but can still very faintly feel a little shaking .. ive rotated balanced etc .. guess ill have to look into a new axle :/

is there a way to see which shaft it could be .. left/right .. just so buying both new is avoidable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So if you take your foot off the gas between 55-60 it stops vibrating?
Correct. If I take my foot off the gas or shift into neutral, the vibration stops. I feel it most down near my feet especially where my right knee touches the center console.

try this http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=axles&Ntk=Keyword&N=599001+102005+50032+2032004

93.79 + tax each
lower price and good quality, same as OEM, d´ont buy remanufactured
I did all, balance, new tires, alignment, everything, finally both axles
runs nice again
Amazing. I called two Honda dealers and they quoted me +-$600 per axle.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
is there a way to see which shaft it could be .. left/right .. just so buying both new is avoidable?
I hit a pothole doing like 120 and bent mine. If you put the car on jack stands and spin the tires, you could see the broken shaft moving up and down. You could start by checking that out.

OEM is expensive. I went with the advance auto axles. ~$70 like someone said. and allegedly some type of lifetime warranty. 600 per axles is insanity though. pure insanity unless that includes labor which is still more than what they should charge. MSRP is ~325 per axle. you can get them online for way less though. bernardi charges 236.23:

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's insane!!!!! I paid $70 for mine and had it installed in an hour (with air tools). Find another dealer!

EDIT: I would recommend checking the passenger side axle first. I spoke with the people at the parts store and they said they have sold a ton of passenger side axles for our cars. Nowhere near as much on the drivers side. This could be a regional thing or a fluke though, so inspect before throwing money at the problem!

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
$600 is ridiculously over excessive. That doesn't make sense what so ever when the parts cost $100 MAX. Wow :nuts:

·
Registered
195 Posts
$600 is ridiculously over excessive. That doesn't make sense what so ever when the parts cost $100 MAX. Wow :nuts:
I was more concerned with the fact that it's only 2 hours labor max!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Can the bad axles (CV boot) be seen visually always?
My accord also vibrate from 55-60mph, when i let go the gas, it is vibrate free!

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Can the bad axles (CV boot) be seen visually always?
My accord also vibrate from 55-60mph, when i let go the gas, it is vibrate free!
did you edit that post? lol.

when we refer to the axles we dont just mean the boot [cover]. and chances are your boot isnt ripped on an 07 car, and that it would more likely be the whole axle (cv axle, driveshaft, whatever you want to call it). The whole assembly comprised of the inner and outer joints. Hit any curbs, potholes lately? Let kids drive the car? This is of course assuming that it is the axle that is your problem. The entire assembly only costs 70ish from advanced auto, and its not a hard install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my 05 diagnosed today, similar symptoms and was told I need a torque converter. Wish it was a drive axle.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same problem. Last year I was parked at IKEA and for some reason, only my spot had a mini concrete barrier. It wasn't like this:

http://www.nitterhouse.com/masonry/products/specialty_products/parking_block.jpg

It was much taller, like a mini sidewalk. Anyhow, when I left I saw no car in front of me, and assumed my spots were like others and drove right up on it. There was a loud bang going up and down from it. I'm sure I banged up or bent something.

In addition to the vibrations at speed, I get loud clunks from the front end when I reverse out of spots with the wheel turned.

I'll see if I can jack up my car soon to check the axle/shafts.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
I have the same problem. Last year I was parked at IKEA and for some reason, only my spot had a mini concrete barrier.
I would go literally insane after a year of that lol. When mine was shaking as bad as it was i refused to drive it until i could afford to buy the parts

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would go literally insane after a year of that lol. When mine was shaking as bad as it was i refused to drive it until i could afford to buy the parts
Truth be told, I didn't notice it til several months later. What complicated matters is I got new tires put on not too long after that, and thought it was an alignment/balance issue. Like others in this thread, it clearly wasn't. Mine issue personally isn't too pronounced, and I generally go 65 so I don't feel it too much. It certainly something I'd like to resolve in the future.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Truth be told, I didn't notice it til several months later. What complicated matters is I got new tires put on not too long after that, and thought it was an alignment/balance issue. Like others in this thread, it clearly wasn't. Mine issue personally isn't too pronounced, and I generally go 65 so I don't feel it too much. It certainly something I'd like to resolve in the future.
I'd bet tires. I had the same issue with a Corolla for 1st 2k miles, then tire tread broke in and no more shimmy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts