Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've recently picked up a 2004 Coupe EX-L, and want to upgrade the stock audio system. Deck first, speakers after.

A friend of mine has the Pioneer AVIC N3, and I'm thinking of picking one up, too.

The only problem is installing the deck in the dash. I think there are two options:

1. Get something like this, which would go into the bottom empty compartment, and install the deck there. (The green area in the attachment.)

2. Get some kind of panel to replace everything in the blue area of the attachment, and install the deck there.

I would prefer to go with option 2, but don't know where I can find the "panels," or if they even exist. Of course, I want all original functionality to still be present on the new panel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Your best bet is the bottom cubby-hole, the upper panel contains dual-zone climate control and radio/CD changer drives.

I believe there is a kit for lower trim EX models without the dual zone climate control, but your option in EX-L is likely non-existent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet is the bottom cubby-hole, the upper panel contains dual-zone climate control and radio/CD changer drives.

I believe there is a kit for lower trim EX models without the dual zone climate control, but your option in EX-L is likely non-existent.
Thanks for the advice.

I've looked around and found this metra "radio replacement" panel, but I'm not sure about it... looks a bit "cheap".

The Pioneer N3 that I want to get has a slide-out screen for GPS/video. I'm afraid that it won't be able to slide out from the bottom hole as it will hit the controls located above... :(

·
Banned
4,269 Posts
If it were me I would do speakers first.

The speakers are really the problem with the factory stereo. The stereo in there sounds great with good speakers...

The cubby hole is the best bet, as said above.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were me I would do speakers first.

The speakers are really the problem with the factory stereo. The stereo in there sounds great with good speakers...

The cubby hole is the best bet, as said above.
I'm actually quite happy with the speakers so far. They're loud, sound is clear, decent bass.

The unit on the other hand... no aux input jack (I know about the AUX in the back of the unit), no MP3... it's a joke and needs to be dealt with ASAP.

I'm used to hooking up my iPhone through an aux cable to the car (my old car), but wouldn't mind getting a gps/video deck combo this time around. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get one that will slide out as it simply won't fit, so I'll probably have to go with one that will take up the double din slot/cd holder. Don't know how convenient that will be for navigation though - it will be quite low...

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm actually quite happy with the speakers so far. They're loud, sound is clear, decent bass.

The unit on the other hand... no aux input jack (I know about the AUX in the back of the unit), no MP3... it's a joke and needs to be dealt with ASAP.

I'm used to hooking up my iPhone through an aux cable to the car (my old car), but wouldn't mind getting a gps/video deck combo this time around. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get one that will slide out as it simply won't fit, so I'll probably have to go with one that will take up the double din slot/cd holder. Don't know how convenient that will be for navigation though - it will be quite low...
i agree with you, as i posted here
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21623 pretty much have the same sentiments as you. i'm trying to find the best solution and to me i think a single din pop up head unit would serve me the best- since the display pops up it will be *more* at eye level then if you had to look completely down at the cubby region.

here is an example that i found on g7a that i would like to eventually do.
http://gen7accord.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11710

i am going to hold off on it for another couple of months and see what sirius and xm are offering- as i use both right now and want to see how they are going to integrate their services.

Also, if you want to go with the bottom cubby replacement option- i think Honda has an OEM kit out there for the dealer installed option of installing the MP3-CD player, if someone can find the part number that would be great but im going to go and wax the car now :-D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If it were me, i would NOT put it in the bottom cubby. Putting it there would mean taking your eyes off the road to look down and away. It would almost be like the people that rearend someone because they looked down at something etc. And anothe thing. That decks screen wold not be able to open fully due to that selector knob is in the way. Why buy a screen and put it that low. just dont play videos...lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
replace radio

I just had my radio replaced with a Jensen unit with nav and backup. You can replace the radio and maintain steering wheel function for vol and channel not sure of mode. The dash unit cost about 250.00 and replaces the entire ac controls but is a clean installation.
Need dash kit, steering adapter kit, radio, camera kit (reverse camera). With the above its a very clean conversion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts