Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Accord where the glove box will not open. I popped the lock cylinder and could get the glove box open by inserting and pressing a screw driver into the area below the cylinder housing so it seems that a linkage from the cylinder to the latch is not connected. Upon removing the entire glove box, I noticed that the black actual box that stores materials and the front of the glove box are separate pieces but there are no fasteners holding them together. I don't want to try to pry them apart for fear that I will break them. I am sure that the Honda Accord factory manual shows an exploded view of this device. Does anyone know how to separate them or have access to the Factory Manual?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
You can't take the pieces apart. Well you can but they don't go back together. The pieces are not fastened but instead fused together at a bunch of ribs on the inside. I took mine apart since it was already broken. Got a used one on eBay for cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honda 2004 Glove Box will not open at all

The glove box used to open by using a screw driver and depressing a tab behind the open latch. Now it doesnt do even that. I can remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the box but it still hangs on the closed latch. I would like to replace the box with one from ebay but I can't remove the broken one. Any solutions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2004 Honda Accord Glove Box Wont open

The glove box latch assembly inside the unit is damaged and will not open. The key tumbler assembly has been removed. I used to be able to open the glove box by using a screw driver and depressing a tab behind the open latch. Now it doesnt do even that. I can remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the box but it still hangs on the closed latch. I would like to replace the box with one from ebay but I can't remove the broken one. Any solutions?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dremel everything off until you can unscrew the latch and remove the old one.. If you have a new one it wont matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The glove box is stuck in the lock position. I would like to replace it. HOW DO I REMOVE THE LOCKED GLOVE BOX?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2004 Accord Glove Box Problem

The glove box latch assembly inside the unit is damaged and will not open. The key tumbler assembly has been removed. I used to be able to open the glove box by using a screw driver and depressing a tab behind the open latch. Now it doesnt do even that. I can remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the box but it still hangs on the closed latch. I would like to replace the box with one from ebay but I can't remove the broken one. Any solutions?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
You've had this issue for a while now. Just use brute force to get it off once you remove the screws. I doubt you will break anything that you won't replace with the new one.

·
White on Black AV6-6
100 Posts
I had my door stuck shut for 6 months until I finally READ the Haynes Manual I bought for $20. Learned about my car, cared more, and saved a lot of headache on the Internet forums.
Now I just do shtuff on my own and post on the "what did you do to your 7th gen today" like a boss

If I click on his profile will my IPhone blow up? I'm too scared to find out

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Dremel the crap out of it dude. around the lock and you're done...

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Do whatever you have to, without damaging the dash or parts you want to keep. Cut a hole in the door around the latch. You must not be defeated by a glove box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts