Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2004 Honda Accord LX Sedan automatic with 333, 400 miles. Yes it has alot of miles but it runs great. No maintenance or engine light on! However, I notice when I'm driving and I brake while going over a small hole or rise in the road, my brakes sort of fail; even when I get on the brakes I can tell that there is something wrong. I can hear a grinding noise when I press my brakes (on the inside of the car) and it sounds like gears grinding when you miss a gear in a manual transmission. Also when I am pressing the brakes I can feel the brake pedal jumping under my feet. Yes this is crazy and before I take it to my mechanic I wanted some insight for myself.

Thanks,

Patrick :notworthy

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Sounds like you've worn thru one of you pads, most likely your inside front pads. Might need new rotors if heavily damaged.

·
2006 I4 MT
1,688 Posts
I notice when I'm driving and I brake while going over a small hole or rise in the road, my brakes sort of fail;
:paranoid:

I hope you don't live around me.

Tow the car to a reputable shop or have someone come out and have them look at your brakes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The noise must be from worn out brakepads. The 'shaking' feeling you get in the pedal and in your foot when you press the pedal must be due to irregularly worn rotors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks. are rotors expensive for this car? I've never had to replace anything major. just brake pads and starter.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,157 Posts
are rotors expensive for this car?
I'm going to let you in on a little secret which no one knows about. But you have to promise not to let anyone else know about this. You ready? Ok. So there are websites out there (autozone, pepboys, advanced auto, auto anything, o'reilly auto, and rockauto just to name a few) that let you plug in the make, model, and trim of your car to find parts for it. They even tell you what the prices of said parts are. Pretty crazy, huh?

Remember to keep this info on the down low though. We don't want others to find out about this. Imagine the mass hysteria if they did. :paranoid:

·
Registered
19 Posts
ok thanks. are rotors expensive for this car? I've never had to replace anything major. just brake pads and starter.
First, what Patrick said ;)

Get a mechanic to give you a quote. Chances are they'll tell you rotors and pads and possibly the calipers need to be replaced and will give you an outrageously high price. Remember that brakes have to be replaced in pairs (front left and right, rear left and right). For a full brake job, my mechanic quoted $1400, the dealer quoted $2000.

Now here's the good news. If you're handy enough, replacing brakes are easy and you can do it in a weekend. Parts are crazy cheap too. Rotors are $30 each, a set of pads is $50 (for left and right), and calipers are $50 each if you need them. There are many great youtube videos showing you how to do it step by step, look at Ericthecarguy's video for instance. The total tools you'll need to buy will be less than $100 too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm going to let you in on a little secret which no one knows about..........Remember to keep this info on the down low though. We don't want others to find out about this. Imagine the mass hysteria if they did. :paranoid:
hahahaha:lmao:

Absolutely hilarious :biggrin::lmao:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha well when I posted on the other honda accord forum someone actually told me it may be anti lock brakes engaging or whatever the case may be. I have heard this from everyone I know....let me clarify something...MY BRAKES DO WORK! MY PROBLEM IS THAT SOMETIMES......SOMETIMES!!! THEY MAKE A GRINDING NOISE WHEN I BRAKE DEEP OR KIND OF HARD...AND THE BRAKE PEDAL FEELS JUMPY UNDER MY FEET DURING THIS PROCESS. I WAS IN MY CAR TODAY AND NO PROBLEMS...SOMETIMES..THIS HAPPENS AND SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T. However my car has over 333,000 miles on it which is alot and like I said nothing has been replaced but a starter and brake pads. So I wanted to know was it just my Honda Accord doing this or did the public experience it too. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well it could either be the ABS engaging, or warped rotors. Are you braking on wet roads when this happens? If yes, it might be normal ABS kicking in. If not, there's something wrong, in which case you should pray that it's end-of-life rotors cause replacing them are easy.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
If your suspension is really worn out, your tires could be losing contact with the pavement, causing the ABS to activate. As far as the grinding sound, something is obviously worn out or rubbing when you brake hard. Check the pads and pad retainers, along with caliper movement and leaks.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Patrick, remove your wheels and look at your brakes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay I was planning on doing that as well. What do I look for when I remove the rim and tire? i.e. rust? dirt? wear and tear?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,676 Posts
On the front brakes, you can just remove the bottom pin bolt, and swing the caliper up. You have to hold the pin with a wrench, so it doesn't turn while you remove the pin bolt. After you get the caliper up, check that the caliper slides in and out on the pins easily, and check the wear on the pads (mainly inside pads) and check for anything else that looks suspicious (leakage, rotor wear etc.). On the rear, you have to remove both pin bolts, and pull the entire caliper up. Take some pictures if possible.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
okay I was planning on doing that as well. What do I look for when I remove the rim and tire? i.e. rust? dirt? wear and tear?
You'll look at your brake pads and the rotor disc. Most likely, you'll find that the pads have worn down to the point that the metal backing is now grinding into the rotor. The harder you brake, the more it grinds. If you feel the rotor surface, you will probably feel lines etched into the surface. If you remove a single bolt at the bottom, that allows the caliper to flip and reveal the brake pads... keep going and you'll find it easy to change your brakes entirely. Trust me, this is easy and saves you big $$$.

Here is how a new pad looks, compared to an old pad. Your pads will likely look like the one on the left. You can see that it's been grinding, metal to metal. That is what is happening with your car, most likely. You only hear the grinding occasionally because the process is young. Keep going and it will grind every time you stop, create more damage and put you/others more at risk.

here is how a worn pad contacts the rotor...

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Given that you said it only happens when you go over a rise or through a small dip, I would say it is the ABS engaging because of low traction. This is most likely caused by worn out struts, if you have over 300k and never replaced the struts it sounds like they need to be replaced front and rear. You also need to look at all the bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends and make sure none of those are worn out at the same time. Not a bad time to look at the axles and make sure the boots are ok as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts