Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my navigation has crapped out to where I get the green message to check my disc. I've seen other models for the '04 that can use the Metra kit, but I've been told my a Metra rep that it does not work for the model with navigation. Can others in the community tell me what my options are, beside sending my navigation off to Alpine for them to fix for $385? I don't mind spending $500 because that's a given now a days and I would really like to get a radio with bluetooth. If I fix my navigation, I get my 9 year old radio which, for that money, I want more. I see on Amazon that there are some off the wall name brand choices, but they don't get very good reviews and I'm leary of putting that kind of money into something that doesn't work properly. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
657 Posts
May be you can change the dvd player in the trunk and be happy with that. Nothing to beat the OEM Navigation look of the dash panel. I bought a 2003 non-navigation v6 accord. Did OEM Navi-conversion. Couldn't be happier. 3 years and still going strong since the Navi-conversion.:thmsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
This happened to me and this is going to be at your OWN RISK...

The unit in the back is like a DVD player, CD player or any other player to where it has a "eye" to read your disc. When this happened to mine I looked all over the web and finally came to a TSX forum where the person did this. Figured I would try it as it couldn't get any worse and it fixed mine. Given I drive on gravel roads, so I have had to do this twice now and each time it fixed it.

Here goes....

1. Eject the DVD....MOST IMPORTANT POINT!!!!
2. Take the wires out and unbolt the unit in the trunk
3. Carefully take off the top panel of the unit so that you can see down into it.
4. Look at where the dvd goes, if you look around enough you will see the little clear "eye"
5. Take a q-tip and tear most of the material off. Then put it into some rubbing alcohol or something and stick it through to clean off the "eye" (This is the hardest part to do)
6. Take another q-tip and do the same thing without the alcohol to clean it off
7. Put it all back together, hook up the wires and see if it works. If it does then reattach it into your trunk and your done.

I know its a little hard, but its worth it to try and do as you just give us some of your time instead of $$$. Like I said I had to do it twice now and the second time one of the ribbons disconnected and that was a real pain to try and fix, but that only happened because I took it all fully apart and took the dvd cradle from the unit to look it over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This happened to me and this is going to be at your OWN RISK...

The unit in the back is like a DVD player, CD player or any other player to where it has a "eye" to read your disc. When this happened to mine I looked all over the web and finally came to a TSX forum where the person did this. Figured I would try it as it couldn't get any worse and it fixed mine. Given I drive on gravel roads, so I have had to do this twice now and each time it fixed it.

Here goes....

1. Eject the DVD....MOST IMPORTANT POINT!!!!
2. Take the wires out and unbolt the unit in the trunk
3. Carefully take off the top panel of the unit so that you can see down into it.
4. Look at where the dvd goes, if you look around enough you will see the little clear "eye"
5. Take a q-tip and tear most of the material off. Then put it into some rubbing alcohol or something and stick it through to clean off the "eye" (This is the hardest part to do)
6. Take another q-tip and do the same thing without the alcohol to clean it off
7. Put it all back together, hook up the wires and see if it works. If it does then reattach it into your trunk and your done.

I know its a little hard, but its worth it to try and do as you just give us some of your time instead of $$$. Like I said I had to do it twice now and the second time one of the ribbons disconnected and that was a real pain to try and fix, but that only happened because I took it all fully apart and took the dvd cradle from the unit to look it over.
Thanks for the precise instructions. I'll definitely try this before purchasing something new. Question: Is it possible to put a lens cleaning disc in to do a similar job? I see some reviews online that a lot of cleaners are not slot loading compatible. Is this why you've gone the route you've went?

·
Registered
2 Posts
May be you can change the dvd player in the trunk and be happy with that. Nothing to beat the OEM Navigation look of the dash panel. I bought a 2003 non-navigation v6 accord. Did OEM Navi-conversion. Couldn't be happier. 3 years and still going strong since the Navi-conversion.:thmsup:
How much did it cost to do the conversion? My radio display just went out on my '04 Honda ex coupe and wanna replace it

·
Registered
657 Posts
How much did it cost to do the conversion? My radio display just went out on my '04 Honda ex coupe and wanna replace it
Can't remember exactly. Around 1300 dollars with installation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the precise instructions. I'll definitely try this before purchasing something new. Question: Is it possible to put a lens cleaning disc in to do a similar job? I see some reviews online that a lot of cleaners are not slot loading compatible. Is this why you've gone the route you've went?
I didn't have a disc and have heard that they can just swipe the dirt to one side of the "eye" You could always try it and see if that works and if not then open it up like I did.
Plus with driving on gravel like I use to, it was super dusty so opening it let me clean it better with the compressed air then just spraying it into the fan area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't have a disc and have heard that they can just swipe the dirt to one side of the "eye" You could always try it and see if that works and if not then open it up like I did.
Plus with driving on gravel like I use to, it was super dusty so opening it let me clean it better with the compressed air then just spraying it into the fan area.
Brandon, does this look like your disc drive? I opened mine up and I don't see the material to pull back and I'm not seeing the eye. Maybe you can see it? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
If you cannot clean the lens yourself, send it to Alpine for repair. $385 is far less than the used ones on eBay for $500 and up. It may not be the lens. Usually Alpine replaces the entire drive mechanism when they are sent for repair. Mechanical parts do age and begin to break down after many years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh this would be cool to do, do you have a write-up for how to do it? I've searched the internet before for installing OEM NAV on my 2003 LX, but all I got was "it can't be done".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brandon, does this look like your disc drive? I opened mine up and I don't see the material to pull back and I'm not seeing the eye. Maybe you can see it? Thanks for any help.
exactly what mine looked like. You will just have to kind of move it around and look under the "top" layer of mechanics to try and find the "eye"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exactly what mine looked like. You will just have to kind of move it around and look under the "top" layer of mechanics to try and find the "eye"
Thanks for the help Brandon. I took the middle silver part off (for those doing this, there's little silver "arms" holding it up) and finally found the eye. I cleaned it and carefully put it back together to no avail. It still acts like it was before. I guess I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a Metra system even though it hasn't been tested for the nav EX model. I'll report back when I do and give some feedback.

To the poster of paying Alpine $385 to fix it. I would, but for that money, I want more out of my radio. Mine is an '04 model, which I'm sure is identical to the '03 model, so it's 10 year old technology. I would love to have bluetooth and some other add ons.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,497 Posts
The new Metra double-din kit will work with your Accord because it is designed for both single-zone and dual-zone AC models. You would probably have to buy the upper dash panel for the non-navigation model Accord for a proper fit with the Metra dash kit. You will spend more than $385 for the dash kit and new stereo. The only thing you are missing is Bluetooth. Your '04 has satellite radio and you can add either an aux input or iPod kit. You can also add a Parrot if you want Bluetooth. Or look for an iPod connection kit with Bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The new Metra double-din kit will work with your Accord because it is designed for both single-zone and dual-zone AC models. You would probably have to buy the upper dash panel for the non-navigation model Accord for a proper fit with the Metra dash kit. You will spend more than $385 for the dash kit and new stereo. The only thing you are missing is Bluetooth. Your '04 has satellite radio and you can add either an aux input or iPod kit. You can also add a Parrot if you want Bluetooth. Or look for an iPod connection kit with Bluetooth.
This, there's ipod connection kits that include Bluetooth. Since you have an 04 you would also get text on the screen. Personally I just love the OEM look. When I got my car it had an aftermarket HU on the lower cubby. I fixed the OEM unit and took that out. I have 2 amps , 4 mids and 12 inch subs in the back and I can honestly tell you the difference is pretty much non-existent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bit the bullet and installed the Metra 99-7803G in my 2004 Accord with navigation and everything works fine. Although I will say that the automatic climate control is not as smart as the OEM on. In other words, if it's 20 degrees and my auto climate is set to 73, in the OEM version, the air wouldn't start blowing until the car was warmed up, which would keep cold air from blowing into the car. The Metra unit just starts blowing and it has a hard time compensating between the cold and hot air to maintain the 73 degrees. But...I'm just confirming that we (Accords with navigation) do have another option and I do have a double din HU hooked up. A very nice addition compared to the radio that was stock.

·
RoopsPhoto.com
202 Posts
I bit the bullet and installed the Metra 99-7803G in my 2004 Accord with navigation and everything works fine. Although I will say that the automatic climate control is not as smart as the OEM on. In other words, if it's 20 degrees and my auto climate is set to 73, in the OEM version, the air wouldn't start blowing until the car was warmed up, which would keep cold air from blowing into the car. The Metra unit just starts blowing and it has a hard time compensating between the cold and hot air to maintain the 73 degrees. But...I'm just confirming that we (Accords with navigation) do have another option and I do have a double din HU hooked up. A very nice addition compared to the radio that was stock.

How is your unit holding up? My DVD drive is dead as well, and I am looking into my options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How is your unit holding up? My DVD drive is dead as well, and I am looking into my options.
It's still holding up as the day I bought it. I would recommend it because there are no other options available that I'm aware of. I've since passed the car along to my daughter, so I don't drive it anymore, but I haven't heard anything saying it is not holding up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I'm new to this. I have an 04 generation 7 Honda Accord non navi and iv been tryin to install a oem satellite nav/6 disc cd, DVD player. What kind of harness do I need for to get it operating, it's dual control. Many thanks

·
Susie is ...rolling.
67 Posts
eBay mate

Check out acurahondaexpert on EBay I just bought a harness from with adapter for single zone vehicles , just talk to him first he's pretty reasonable

1 - 19 of 19 Posts