Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 V6 Accord sedan with about 115k miles. I bought it used with about 40k miles about 5-6 years ago with no maintenance history, so I don't know what service was done on it.

I recently switched jobs, and will be doing a LOT of long-distance driving (SanFran, LA, Portland, Phoenix, Vegas etc.). I just had 2 motor mounts fail on me very suddenly (front and passenger, both were replaced, no other problems noted), and after that scare I decided to proactively see what I need to do to make sure my car doesn't blow up in the middle of the desert someday, so I started trolling this forum.

After everything I've read, I was shocked to discover that my car doesn't seem to have the cooling jet retrofit done to the transmission. I ran the VIN through Honda's site, and the transmission issue is not listed for my car (just the PS hose). It is most definitely an '04, and even some 05's were affected, so what gives?

I just checked my ATF fluid, and it's nice and clean - just the very slightest hint of smoke in it. I had the fluid changed about 40k miles ago, along with timing belt, water pump, and plugs. Had the valves adjusted while the shop did the mounts - now idles very smoothly, like when I got 5 years ago. Was considering scheduling for another ATF fluid change before I started reading.

Car runs beautifully, transmission shifts just fine (firmly, but not jerkily - same as always), no noises other than the slight gear whine that it always had.

Should I be concerned?

After reading about wheels locking up on highways with no warning, and the fact that I'm cruising at 80-90 Mph in some places in dense traffic and with big rigs all around (hard to avoid at time on the interstates), I'm definitely NOT going to be as relaxed on my long drives as I want to be!

I'll start changing the tranny fluid regularly now - I wish I found out about that (and the non-existent filter) earlier! I'm very mechanically inclined, and would do the work myself, but time constraints, lack of tools, and very frequent moves among apartment complexes have kept me from being able to work on my car myself. One day . . . . .

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
After everything I've read, I was shocked to discover that my car doesn't seem to have the cooling jet retrofit done to the transmission. I ran the VIN through Honda's site, and the transmission issue is not listed for my car (just the PS hose). It is most definitely an '04, and even some 05's were affected, so what gives?
Unless it was later expanded, the original trans recall only covered 2003's and some 2004's. the following is from the original notice. See if your vin is there. If not, then your car most likely wasn't subject to the recall and wouldn't have the oil jet kit.

"2004 Accord V6 4-Door:
From VIN 1HGCM66..4A000001 thru
1HGCM66..4A030387
VIN 1HGCM66..4A032783
VIN 1HGCM66..4A036643
VIN 1HGCM66..4A039356
VIN 1HGCM66..4A040381"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ypsi,
Thank you! My VIN ends in 1HGCM66..4A08XXXX, so it's outside of the recall range.
However, would it make sense to have the kit installed anyway, as a protective measure? Or were the transmissions actually substantially beefed up after that fiasco that I shouldn't worry?
I see that the kit can be purchased, and it seems to me a fairly straightforward, bolt-on install that can be done in conjunction with an ATF drain/refill process.
There is a thread about this exact question here, but it never got answered:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46172

EDIT - I have to add - manufacturers try to get away with the smallest recall range possible to save costs (and avoid headlines with "XXX Million cars recalled for exploding engines!!!". That may not mean that they actually fixed the problem, so I don't trust the recall range 100%.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ypsi,
Thank you! My VIN ends in 1HGCM66..4A08XXXX, so it's outside of the recall range.
However, would it make sense to have the kit installed anyway, as a protective measure?
I would say no. The oil jet kit didn't always work to save the afflicted transmissions. My wife's 03 had the oil jet kit installed per the recall and the trans still blew at 62,000 miles. You'd be better off changing the fluid regularly and the trans filter and possibly the pressure switches.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
I haven't heard of many transmissions locking up, and that seems to be VERY rare. Most of the transmissions that do fail, will start slipping (rpms go up, but car doesn't accelerate). Personally, I do a drain and fill every 15k miles, and change the filter every 30-60k miles. I just ordered the two pressure switches covered in the link below, and plan to change them sometime soon (at 112k miles right now) IMO, do a drain and fill as often as necessary, to keep the fluid clean. I don't think I would add the recall "jet kit" if it isn't included in the recall. The link below has a wealth of information on the V6 Accord and it's transmission. The "So you just bought a used Accord" thread at the top of the 7th gen Accord page also has a lot of information on all Accords. If you have any questions, just ask. Here's the link
http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/index.html

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. You are going to be doing a lot of cruzing. So transmission will be in 5th gear most of the time. It will not have to shift as often

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, all! I'll get the drain/refills done ASAP, along with the filter change, and the pressure switches for good measure (they're cheap, anyway), and then definitely will be staying on top of the ATF changes!
Blckfish - that link to brisdance.com was GREAT - I did read the "so you bought a used Accord" thread, but this one goes into great detail. That link should be a sticky for all Accord owners to read!
Since I'll be driving around a lot in hot weather, I'm now considering a transmission cooler as well. Sigh.

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Actually, adding the "jet kit" might not be a bad idea. What could it hurt? My 03 has the jet kit installed, and it's an easy place to pour the new transmission fluid in, when doing a drain and fill. A lot of people will assemble a device to pour the fluid in through the dipstick tube, because they say the fill bolt (where the jet kit is installed) is difficult to remove. I would try to remove the fill bolt, because adding the fluid through the dipstick tube sounds like a slow process.

I mentioned the "so you bought a used Accord" thread for after you are done obsessing over the transmission. It has a lot of other useful information about things that are unique about Honda Accords. After 112k miles, I've stopped thinking about the transmission so much. If you don't have a lot of experience with Honda cars, the owner's manual can be good reading. Honda does a lot of things their own way. For instance, there is no on/off switch for the glove box. The glove box light is controlled by the running light switch, so if the running lights are on, the glove box light is on, whether it's open or closed.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
The jet kit sprays fluid directly onto 2nd gear, to cool it. Even with the problems that were claimed in some 03 and 04 transmissions, I can't fathom getting that much heat in that gear to cause it to over harden.

If you are driving in hot environments for long distance, it would probably be a better choice to have a trans cooler installed. Heat kills these transmissions (like most).

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Didn't previous Accords have transmission fluid lines going to the radiator?

·
Super Moderator
6,542 Posts
I had a 98 Accord V6, and the transmission cooling line was a hard line welded onto the radiator, but that line didn't do jack. I had an external Hayden trans cooler installed instead. I installed it inline with that stock cooling line but the fluid was still burning hot pre-external cooler.

The heat exchanger design is much better.

The 2nd gen Acura TL did have transmission that locked up hard in the 3rd gear and this was in the news years ago. People would be driving and all of a sudden it would down shift hard to a lower gear, causing the whole car to dive while at highway speed. Hence the oil jet kit recall / retrofit. Do a google search and you'll find it.

·
03 EX V6, and 6 others
147 Posts
The jet kit wasn't for the downshifting problem the TL's saw. 2nd gear would actually break jamming the mainshaft at speed. It would literally have a piece of that gear lock up the trans. There was a note in my rebuild literature to inspect 2nd gear for bluing. There were only 2 cases that I could find on the web of this actually happening.

If you look in my transmission rebuild thread, I highlighted 2nd gear and what to look for on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts