Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been lurking on here for quite a few weeks now trying to figure out what is going on with my 2004 Accord LX. I am hoping you can point me in the right direction.

My car started making a whining noise about 2-3 months ago that was intermittent and its pitch proportional to RPM whether in gear or not. It only happened every so often while driving and from what I could dig up on here, was related to my alternator, timing belt, or power steering pump. After the noise occurred more frequently and my car stalled while turning once, I took it into a mechanic I trust to get it fixed.

They were not able to reproduce the noise but found that my onboard computer relays were fried. They tested everything at my request and found no other problems. They replaced the relays and the whining went away, presumably because the power drain through the relays was significant to originally cause the alternator to overwork and produce noise (their words).

The car has worked fine for a month since then until tonight. It has 130,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem. I keep it in the best shape that I can and every mechanic I've been to over the years has said everything is in excellent condition. The battery is going on 3 years I believe.

While driving home in the night, with my lights and AC on, the noise came back. Unlike prior experiences, it came back quickly and I noticed that both my internal lights and headlights would fade to black quickly whenever I dropped RPMs to stop at a light. Almost to the point where everything went black and I thought I had stalled.

I know it is somehow related to my alternator, battery, or timing belt; but these were all tested and reportedly working fine lately. I plan on calling my mechanic back when they open again on Monday but am hoping that you fine folks would have a better idea of what is going on in the mean time. Given that its onset is so much worse than what it originally was, I hope to have a good idea of what's causing it before I get back in it to drive it anywhere. Thanks for your time!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts