Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let people know that I had a coil pack arc to the point where the plug blew out of the engine!
About the only time my wife ever drove the car, no problems, Huge Bang, obviously the car then made an awful sound while running. She shut it of ASAP, thankfully.
Car has several mods, nothing that where related to ignition system, plugs etc, where all factory.
Car has 96,000 mi.
Dlr maintained, never winter driven...
I will know more tomorrow, the car is sitting at the dealership waiting to find out if there is anything left of the head/piston/cyl walls etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I took it to the dlr about a month ago for a strange noise that I actually thought might be exhaust related, replaced the resonator on the borla system, but no fixing the noise, they told me that they couldn't find the noise later when I took it back...

That was still under warranty then, might be hope yet, ha ha.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The coil arcing won't make the plug loose. Which cylinder? A front or rear?

I'd be willing to bet that one of the techs at the dealer, most likely a lube jockey pulled a plug to check it, and didn't tighten it all the way. Or it was never properly torqued from the get go.

The coil probably was pretty melted from the combustion gas running past the plug.

As long as there is threads still in the head, a thread chaser can be used to clean up the threads and a new plug installed.

Ask anyone with a pre 2003 Ford 5.4 or 4.6, they have weak cyl head threads and blow plugs all the time. An insert can be installed in those that is a permanent and better set of threads than the head could ever have had since new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It Is a plug in the rear of the engine.

I have heard a strange tapping noise for a while and assumed it was an exhaust noise, plug that popped was near the manifold, well guess they all are...
The same noise got louder and then bang!

I would guess that no-one was ambitious enough to wrestle in there for a plug.

I am curious if I should worry much about metal shards in the cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much, the pressure to blow out the plug is going to shoot out the debris along with it. Did the coil break into pieces and end up outside the engine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts