Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have an 05 accord hybrid that just gave me the check engine light. i stopped by my local honda dealer, and the service dept. told me not to scan the code myself, or i run the risk of frying the computer in it? is he serious? ive always scanned my own codes in the past, and am wondering if this is just their way of getting me into the service dept. and get my hard earned $$$'s. He wouldn't even tell me where the port was on it, and wanted to make an appointment for diagnostics and charge me $98 for something ive always done myself in the past. HELP!

·
Registered
269 Posts
we have an 05 accord hybrid that just gave me the check engine light. i stopped by my local honda dealer, and the service dept. told me not to scan the code myself, or i run the risk of frying the computer in it? is he serious? ive always scanned my own codes in the past, and am wondering if this is just their way of getting me into the service dept. and get my hard earned $$$'s. He wouldn't even tell me where the port was on it, and wanted to make an appointment for diagnostics and charge me $98 for something ive always done myself in the past. HELP!
BS, I get mine scanned for free at Autozone or Pepboys with not problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i figured, but the sticker shock of replacing the computer might be enough to do me in. any idea where i find the port on my car? i looked under the drivers side dash, but everything seems to be covered by a plastic shroud. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
663 Posts
The location of DLC is under left side of the dash:
You may need something advanced to read extended codes.
But you will be fine if this code is covered by OBD standard.
Is you use aftermarked code reader you don't fry ECU.
I hooked up Scangauge 2 and also Autoenginuity and even made-myself K-line adapter and my ECU still works.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts