Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought my daughter a 2005 Accord LX. The radio doesn't work so I bought an OEM replacement on eBay. Now, I know I need the codes, but, I'm a bit unclear how to proceed.
I've looked online and found where to look for the radio code (glove box, etc). I also know I can get the code from the existing radio (it powers up, everything works except for sound). Will having that code make the new radio work? What else do I need?

Thank you,
Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Welcome to DA.

The radio code you bought from eBay will not be the one in the glove box of your car, it would be in the glove box of the car the radio came from. :)

You would need the s/n on the back of the radio to get a code from the dealership or Honda America customer service line.

But I'm not certain this is your problem, the word "Code" will be displayed on the screen if your radio actually needs a code, nothing else would work, but you said "it powers up, everything works except for sound", that means perhaps you either didn't plug in all the connectors at the back, i.e. missing the plug to the speakers, OR you bought a defective unit with the amplifier section not working.

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
If you replace the radio with one from another LX (i.e. another single CD player unit) you will not need a radio code. If you choose to get a 6 CD unit, make sure it's a single zone climate control unit.

If you get the 6 CD, you will need need the dealership to lookup the code . Some might tell you to use the automated Honda site but that won't help in your case since you are not the registered owner of the new radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize, I wasn't very clear. The unit that powers up but has no sounds is the existing radio, not the replacement unit.

So if I understand you correctly 03LXV6, replacing the stock unit with an identical stock unit won't require a code entry?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic! That's a load off my mind. Thank you very much. I'm sure I'll be back to these forums frequently to keep my daughter's Accord in good shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replacement radio installed, success! Not exactly a piece of cake, but it's done, and my kid is thrilled! She's actually out driving around listening to the radio as I write this.

Thank you all for your help. Happy New Year!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts