Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick write up on a recent problem with my 2005 EX-L 4-cyl I suffered. Friday night I was going to a friend's house for dinner and my battery light came on out of the blue while I was driving. When I came to an intersection the car died. It restarted and I proceeded to my destination, the light came on and off a couple times and it died one more time. Several hours later I left my friend's house and got about 5 miles down the road and the car starting acting funny, like no power, etc. I turned off the rear defroster and it cleared up. 1 mile later it died and would not restart - the battery was dead. So the tow truck driver got me home with the car - he hooked his jump pack up to it and we started the car and he observied that the alternator was putting out about 13 volts but it was up and down, all over the place. Bingo - alternator was failing.

So - next morning I got a new reman alternator from O'Reilley's - Honda wanted $415 and this reman was $140 with a life time warranty. It seems well built and I charged my battery with a trickle charger while I did the remove/replace/. The car started right up and no more battery light. Drove around all day with no further issues. The whole r/r procedure along with a new Gates serpentine belt took about an hour max and the hardest part was just wiggling the old unit out of the space after I unbolted it. A long 9/16" offset wrench helped with the tensioner. My car has 209,800 miles on it for reference.

Just thought this might help someone running into similar symptoms.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Thanks.

I've had 500 000 km out of a Honda OEM alternator, but I do keep the electrical loads down for efficiency.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Rebuilding your own alternator is not that hard and the OEM alternator is higher quality than any aftermarket Chinese knockoff. This is an excellent guide.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: WDHewson

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Shoulda found a local rebuild joint. I just had mine rebuilt at a cost of $80.

·
Registered
195 Posts
OP,

I hope you haven't trashed the bad alternator, assuming it was the original. If it was the original, keep it and rebuild it, either yourself or at a shop, and re-install it. You will thank me later. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts