Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I am in need of some help and support. I have a 2005 honda accord coupe ex 4 cyl. with a 6 disc cd changer and dual climate controls. I just recently purchased an OEM 2005 honda accord navigation head unit and dvd drive. I was wondering what type of harness I needed for the dvd drive and if the navi head unit was just a plug and play. Please let me know! Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oye... there are extensive threads on here. Just search "navigation"... you need to make sure that the unit and the dvd drive are from the same year or you'll have compatibility issues... With regard to the harness, you need to buy a custom one as it is not just plug and play.... acurahondatech on ebay is the only one that makes them and they aren't cheap. You can attempt to create your own, but from what I've seen good luck!

There are a few other parts that you'll need as well including the top vent display bezel. Like I said, search the forums, I wanted to upgrade my accord as well, but when I saw the cost I quickly became ok with my garmin.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the top sub-display mandatory to have? will the navi work without it?

Oye... there are extensive threads on here. Just search "navigation"... you need to make sure that the unit and the dvd drive are from the same year or you'll have compatibility issues... With regard to the harness, you need to buy a custom one as it is not just plug and play.... acurahondatech on ebay is the only one that makes them and they aren't cheap. You can attempt to create your own, but from what I've seen good luck!

There are a few other parts that you'll need as well including the top vent display bezel. Like I said, search the forums, I wanted to upgrade my accord as well, but when I saw the cost I quickly became ok with my garmin.

Good luck!

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Is the top sub-display mandatory to have? will the navi work without it?
The upper sub display and upper dash panel is required. If you don't have that, you will not be able to enter the radio's theft code, or see your clock, or temp displays.

The parts you need are as follows: Upper sub display, upper dash panel, Navi Head Unit, DVD-ROM drive, DVD-ROM drive mounting bracket, GPS antenna, DVD-ROM map disc. You need two custom-made harnesses. One harness connects the head unit and DVD-ROM drive into the vehicle's main audio harness with power. The other harness connects the upper sub display to the Navi head unit. Three additional wires are also spliced into the ECU.

There are two navi models, 2003-2005 and 2006-2007. 2004-2007 are also XM ready models which require a sub display from the 2004 or later model years. 2003 units are not XM ready and must use the upper sub display from the 2003 model year. 2003-2005 use the Orange DVD and 2006 and later use a white DVD. They are not inter-changable. Also, the head units from the sedans and coupes have different button illumination. Sedans have green/white illumination and coupes have red illumination.

You have about half the parts and without the custom-made harnesses, you won't be able to install it. I don't know what Martin charges for the harnesses these days, but it may be in the ballpark of about $500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the informative information. I've talked with Martin and the price for the harness is way too much. My friend works at the honda warehouse and I got a quote of $300 + tax for the navi harness. I have the dvd drive with brackets and orange dvd and navi head unit. looks like I need the sub display which I can get cheap from my friend and the harness. I am actually going to attempt to make my own harness first before anything to see if it works. What I didnt know was that the navi needs to be connected to the ECU? how will I do this?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
hey thanks for the informative information. I've talked with Martin and the price for the harness is way too much. My friend works at the honda warehouse and I got a quote of $300 + tax for the navi harness. I have the dvd drive with brackets and orange dvd and navi head unit. looks like I need the sub display which I can get cheap from my friend and the harness. I am actually going to attempt to make my own harness first before anything to see if it works. What I didnt know was that the navi needs to be connected to the ECU? how will I do this?
If you buy the OEM harness, you will have to remove your entire dash board and replace quite a bit of the vehicle's electrical harness. It is more integrated into the vehicle than a custom harness. The three connections into the ECU are CAN L, CAN H, and VSS. Your Honda friend will know how to do that. You just splice into three existing wires.

With the OEM harness that may not be necessary as I explained you will be replacing a large portion of the vehicle's electrical wiring. The custom harness is far easier to do. Martin's price is reasonable considering how easy it makes installing the Navi. His harness is truly plug and play. However, I bought mine as an entire kit so I got the harness and all the parts in a package deal three years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts