Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and making use of the helpful FAQ guides found in the stickies. I own a 2006 Canadian V6 SE Sedan (between LX and EX in terms of equipment).

As I was driving to school this morning, my leg caught on the lanyard attached to the key and turned the engine off as I was midcorner. I panicked and put the car in park to restart it (Yes, I know that neutral would have worked too). The transmission made a noise that is similar to a ratchet until I restart the engine and put the car back in drive.

--> Is there any damage? Is there any potential for damage? Other than the ATF Dipstick, what other parts should I check?

Also, I had the ATF swapped (3x drain and fill) when I purchased the car ~4500 kms ago. The DW-1 has since become slightly darker.

--> Is this normal after the first flush due to the new detergents? or is this an indicator of new damage

Also, the DW-1 bottles that the dealer showed me had "synthetic" on the bottle. I'm not too sure if the US market gets synthetic DW-1 as well, but this is food for thought.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Welcome to DA!

Sounds a little bit scary...yikes.

The "ratcheting" sound you heard is a pin referred to as a "parking pawl" being forced in and out of the trans case as the transmission output shaft continues to rotate via the car's momentum (so mechanically, putting it into park while moving is kind of like the actual operation of a ratchet). Normally, it is not spinning when you engage the park setting, as the vehicle would not be in motion.

The pawl is basically a pin that locks the output shaft of the transmission to the trans casing, preventing it from moving. The park setting is essentially similar to having the transmission in neutral, but with the locking pin in place. So, you would not be damaging clutch packs, o-rings, planetarys, shift solenoids etc. by throwing it into park while it is in motion. But...

You may have damaged or worn the pin, and there is potential for a piece of it to have broken off inside. But...if the car still holds firm in park, you could very well be okay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to DA!

Sounds a little bit scary...yikes.

The "ratcheting" sound you heard is a pin referred to as a "parking pawl" being forced in and out of the trans case as the transmission output shaft continues to rotate via the car's momentum (so mechanically, putting it into park while moving is kind of like the actual operation of a ratchet). Normally, it is not spinning when you engage the park setting, as the vehicle would not be in motion.

The pawl is basically a pin that locks the output shaft of the transmission to the trans casing, preventing it from moving. The park setting is essentially similar to having the transmission in neutral, but with the locking pin in place. So, you would not be damaging clutch packs, o-rings, planetarys, shift solenoids etc. by throwing it into park while it is in motion. But...

You may have damaged or worn the pin, and there is potential for a piece of it to have broken off inside. But...if the car still holds firm in park, you could very well be okay.

Good luck.
How much work would having a mechanic check over the parking pawl be?
Would it be costly to replace?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The worst that can happen is breaking the park pin, if you did, Park would be like neutral (car would just roll). If your car is engaging P normally, then I wouldn't have anything checked.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Well if it's damaged, its ability to hold the output shaft will be compromised, meaning that when you put it in park it may either slip out of park, or not engage at all - ie identical to the car simply being in neutral.

The pawl is inside the transmission and other than above, I know of no way to check it without pulling off the transmission and looking inside. The part itself would probably not be too costly, but the labor to get at would be.

I'll let others chime in as I am no mechanic by any means, but my suggestion is to do nothing unless and until you are experiencing operational issues with it.

BTW, slight darkening of the trans fluid is normal (unless you also see black or metallic chunks in it too), so I think you can scratch that off your worry list as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,662 Posts
I did this same thing when I was young and dumb on my 98 Accord V6. I actually went into P while in the reverse gear. I hear clacking sound. Honestly, I don't think it did any damage.

The DW-1 fluid bottle in Canada does have that "synthetic" label on it, but not the bottle here in USA. I have seen a picture of this in the past. Both are the same fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did this same thing when I was young and dumb on my 98 Accord V6. I actually went into P while in the reverse gear. I hear clacking sound. Honestly, I don't think it did any damage.

The DW-1 fluid bottle in Canada does have that "synthetic" label on it, but not the bottle here in USA. I have seen a picture of this in the past. Both are the same fluid.
With regards to the DW-1, was there an analysis done showing that they're the same fluid? I'd love to buy some US market DW-1 if it were actually the same fluid at half the price

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,686 Posts
With regards to the DW-1, was there an analysis done showing that they're the same fluid? I'd love to buy some US market DW-1 if it were actually the same fluid at half the price
I'm sure it is, or they would call it DW-2.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts