Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone
New here, but will start contributing as my journey goes on.
I have a 2006 honda accord 2.4l engine 4 door with only 94k miles.
I'm planning for a road trip in November round trip from New Mexico (US) to Tennessee/Georgia for work and to visit family.
My uncle in law is giving me his motorcycle (honda rebel 250) and I was wondering if my Accord will be able to handle towing it round trip from NM-->GA rounds trip.
I have an ATV trailer weighing between 400-600LB give or take + the honda rebel is around 330 LB.

Any thoughts? Will my accord be able to handle such journey? I do have a bigger vehicle but the MPG is around 14-17.

Any recommendations or thoughts will be highly appreciated.

Also one thing to mention is, if my uncle in law lived in a normal neighborhood I would have just ordered shipping.
But he literally lives in the middle of nowhere in the forest about 4 hours away from Atlanta. So a shipping service will cost an arm and a leg.
Last thing to mention, the motorcycle isn't running and needs work, so it will have to be picked up directly from his barn.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
you think the mileage you'd get with the accord while towing would be better than that 14-17mpg?
So I'll probably be using my different trailer I have, it's 230 LB, driving there with it will still make a big difference in mpg since it will be empty. The reason why I don't want to take my bigger car is because it is older and it has some issues. I don't want to break down.
So driving there 1,500 miles with a 230 LB empty trailer and driving back another 1,500 miles with a 530-600 LB loaded trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's w
The accord is rated to tow ~1000 lbs? Most people who tow use the V6, but the 2.4 should be fine as long as you avoid anything too steep.
That's what I'm thinking, even if it gets steep I'll take it slow.
I will most likely be taking my other trailer that is around 230 LB, driving there 1,500 miles towing 230LB of wieght and driving back 1,500 miles towing 530-600LB of weight total. It's still way below 1,000lb, I'm just asking because I want to be safe rather sorry if I'm risking my tranny.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Wouldn't be any different that taking the same trip with 3 other passengers that weigh 250 each

Reactions: TX Accord

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Oh and don't use 0W20 oil, someone from the other thread will come over and berate you i'm sure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts