Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
4Dr, 6Spd, Infinite Grins
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car started running like doggie poo on the way home tonight :mad:
She didn't want to idle well at stops and was missing badly.
I stopped to fill up (tank was at 1/8) and had a hard start condition, didn't want to fire without 3/4 throttle and then had a bad surge.
Finally, the check engine light did come on. Hooked up my scan tool and got a P0404 - EGR code. Really really bad exhaust smell. But it ran ok over 2 grand.

On the advice of one of my master techs @ the shop I gave the metal base of the EGR valve a few good whacks with a hammer, and she cleared up and started to purr again. He thinks I had some carbon stuck in the EGR valve.

The car doesn't see much highway miles. I only drive 3 miles to work, and the rest of the time comes in 1/4 and 1/8 mile increments. :naughty: I only run QT 93 octane with a bottle Chevron Techron every 6 months.

Do these 3.0 V6's have a history problems with the EGR passages clogging up with carbon, or problems with the EGR valve? Would it be more beneficial to do some long highway driving to try to break up the carbon, or is the intake gonna have to come off to clean out the passages?

Advice appreciated!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would take it to highway first and then see what happens.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts