Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what I believe is a rare Honda, The 06 Accord Sedan V6 MT6 I think 1owner, 39,000 Miles, for $15,000, its about 300 to 400 miles from me but I'm thinking about getting it, Thoughts???...To good to be true????

And also, where can I find the Production #'s broken down for the 06 Accord Sedan V6 MT6?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum....

1) Don't pay a premium for a Honda because you think it is rare. It is a Honda- not a pre-production Corvette with a production run of 100.

2) A friend of mine just bought a 2006 Accord V6 MT6 COUPE for half that dollar amount, but with 80,000 miles.

3) You need to do more research into what others have paid for this model of car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is rare when speaking about 03-07 Accords, but that does seem like a good price provided its in good condition with a clean history

If I want something really bad, I'll overpay slightly and go far to get it. In the end Im a happy guy

·
2020 CBP Touring
688 Posts
If you look around the '06-'07 6-6 Sedans have been selling at premium prices for a little while now. I'm beginning to think it's not a coincidence.... It's generally understood they are fairly rare. At the same time Rick is right. Although if the car is perfect with that kind of mileage that could be a fair deal.
I don't believe Honda releases production numbers on individual drivetrain combinations...If they do I've never been able to find anything.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Check the VIN via Carfax/Carproof first before you go all that way.

The price doesn't seem to be anything to write home about, but it's not a rip off either given the miles and presuming no accidents or other claims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, I know it's not an Exotic but I do want it if it's up to par, the Kelly Blue book value at VG is $14,833....and I was going to offer $12,000 straight cash...

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
$7500 for an 06 6-6 Coupe? That sounds like a good deal; what are the details?
Accidents? Family-friend? Auction? Repairs?
It had the famous #5 spark plug incident. Person traded it in and bought....a Ford! The Ford dealer took the Accord over to the Honda dealer down the street and the Honda dealer put in a brand new head, machined everything, AND did the timing belt. Gave a 1 year warranty on everything too. What Honda did NOT do was repair the ever so tiny "bump" in the hood from when the #5 spark plug hit it at who knows what speed. That was "body work"- and was not done by Honda nor anyone else.

The car has 4 new Michelin tires on some el-cheapo aftermarket wheels. Also, the car has quite a few stone chips in the front, several shopping cart dings on each side, but a mint interior.

The Ford dealer wanted to get rid of it because to them it was damaged goods or perhaps they did not know what they really had. So during the test drive, and with the Ford dealer's permission, he drove it to Honda down the street and paid $80 out of pocket for a 1 hour Honda evaluation- in writing, of everything right/wrong with the car.

He picked it up last week. I drove it over the weekend and was absolutely blown away. I am not exaggerating. I am coming from my 4 cylinder so I knew I would have more power- but it had power EVERYWHERE. The 6 speed manual shifted so smoothly and effortlessly I had to look down a couple of times to make sure I was in gear before I let the clutch out.

He drives 90% highway and already reported 31 mpg- and he drives like a pimp hunting down money- very aggressively and fast.

What he does not like is the tire/wheel combo. I have had Michelin in certain applications, but it seems these new Michelin Primacy (I think they are 80,000 mile tires) are hard as a rock. I showed him some threads here about reducing tire pressure, etc but he has got to swap them out- too punishing.

The car was a 2 owner, is Silver Alabaster and is not a trailer queen- but is "rare", performs beautifully (except the hard as rock tires), and is a Honda! So he will get new wheels (looking on Craigslist for Acura TL 17" 5 spoke) and new tires, probably replace the front bumper (stone chips) and repair/paint the hood. That little "bump" is tiny, but your eyes are drawn to it.

The funny thing is when he was walking around the car looking at it at the Ford dealer, he called me up and I got into it with the Ford dealer because they kept trying to tell me it was the #3 spark plug, and I kept telling the guy it was the #5- not a big deal, but just pointed it out. He thought I was an idiot and I knew he was wrong- so he retrieved the Honda receipt and sheepishly said, "Well, who cares which number it was?".

Sorry for the long post- but I would buy one in a minute if the price/condition was right. And yes, I might pay a slight premium because it is a nice combo- but I would NOT pay more because it was "rare".

·
Registered
328 Posts
^Thanks for the info!

"Great deal!" posts are worthless without the supporting information, but it sounds like your buddy got a great deal by being in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '07 with nav was $15,500 from Carmax with 72K on the odometer. That included a 30-day warranty on everything, and a 5-day return-it-for-any-reason guarantee, so I didn't mind so much paying the premium price.

If yours is coming from a private seller or small dealer, I would say $15K is only a starting point, and it needs to go lower. You also need to ask the important questions of the seller and get reports from Carfax and Autocheck and cross-reference everything.

Most important to me off the top of my head would be to know about the potential for the 3rd gear issue with the 6-speed. Has that TSB been done on this car? If not, you're looking at potentially a couple thousand out of pocket to get the TSB done if that issue crops up - or try the GM Syncromesh FM fluid and hope.

If it works out that it's in good shape, I hope you enjoy it. I love mine. :)

EDIT:

I would add that you should look farther away and price one-way plane tickets. Looking at Autotrader.com and Cars.com (39 listings on each, what are the odds it's the same set?) since I posted my reply, there are '06 - '07 6-6 sedans to be had for a lot less. You may need to look at ones with more miles on them, and be willing to travel.

EDIT:

I'm partial to the graphite pearl. This one in PA is $10K with 121K miles, so it should have just had the timing belt / tensioner / water pump done: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=349704419

1 - 12 of 12 Posts