Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just an update for everyone…had a few hours today and was able to get everything else off that I need prior to pulling…now just need to pull the mounts and pick it out. I also need to find the best reman reseller. Recommendations? Looking at Powertrain Products and Jasper.

Any thoughts on a derale thermal bypass plus a B&M’s super cooler 70264/70268? We’ve had days here -30F. Based on the warranties out there…I’m going to be confined to DW1 so keeping things cool is critical but also want to make sure it’s not too cool.
Anyone?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If I remember correctly, the B&M cooler in t-rd's write up had different diameter tubes thus allowing the thicker fluid to flow better when cold outside, no more putting cardboard in front of it. Using a real synthetic fluid like Amsoil would also help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If I remember correctly, the B&M cooler in t-rd's write up had different diameter tubes thus allowing the thicker fluid to flow better when cold outside, no more putting cardboard in front of it. Using a real synthetic fluid like Amsoil would also help.
Thanks. Yeah, I was reading some reviews about people having issues with that particular cooler in cold climates but wanted to hear actual Accord owners that have done the mod give their experience. I really liked tr-d's post though, very informative and at least now, I can see why that mod is definitely needed. The heat exchanger sitting on top of the transmission is woefully inadequate.

Can anyone see a reason why you wouldn't install a thermal bypass? I saw a few out there where I can bypass transmission flow under 145. Seems to me that would be ideal....if the transmission fluid is under 145...it acts like it normally would...above 145 it heads to the cooler. In the real world, not sure how well this works but was hoping to hear some thoughts. I guess I'm feeling like if I'm going to put money into the car, I might as well do whatever I can do to make it last as long as possible.

Picking the engine and trans out this weekend. Unfortunately, reman trans are hard to come by right now. Reman engines are even harder. If I wasn't so turned off by the outrageous car prices right now, I'd send the car to the salvage yard..but meh 6000 for something reliable...doesn't seem so bad. So I guess I'll just wait.

·
Super Moderator
6,622 Posts
You do not need the Derale thermal activated valve, when you keep the OEM ATF warmer puck in-place inline with the coolant flow. If you opt to bypass the warmer puck, then you do need the Derale valve. I have driven on B&M 70264 for over 4 years and over 100K miles around Chicago area. Temp reached down to -30F two years ago and I didn't have a single trans problem. 70264 has cold fluid bypass built-in, thick fluid flows through 1 channel instead of through the entire fins of the cooler until fluid thins out after reaching fully operating temp. If you are in Canada, then I would recommend it.

The B&M 70268 will be too wide to fit in front of the a/c condenser, even if you relocate the horn. I did a lot of measurements years ago before getting the 70264.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts