Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heylo there ,

Noted the following issues on my accord and was looking for help/ tips on how to diagnose them correctly:

High Frequency whining/ whistling sound with the vehicle in drive and accelerator pressed. Goes away when accelerator is released.

Please advise on specific checks/ areas I should look into.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#1 is normal. The others, I don't know.
Thanks.

Took the car to a shop today to have the whine inspected.

It is not present if the car is revved in P.

Overall, this led the mechanic to believe this is a Transmission issue.

I replaced the ATF 9 months ago, when I bought the car second hand. I'm not sure what was in it earlier but I did one Drain and Fill with DW-1 (3 L).

The mechanic suggested I do another drain and fill before going looking deeper into the transmission.

What are your thoughts on this? DW-1 is readily available here but I've read Redline D4 can do miracles (also available here at 2.5 x the price of DW-1).

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Change your ATF inline filter, and let us know if it is a Honda OEM or an aftermarket one.

I had a whine when I installed an aftermarket inline filter- it was longer than the stock filter and caused the rubber line it was attached to to bend a little. That bend caused a whine noise. I should have shortened the hose with the aftermarket filter- but I just tossed it and reinstalled an OEM Honda ATF filter and no more whine.

You did not list mileage (km) nor how long ago you (km-wise) you did one drain and fill, so I can't give targeted advice here. You also did not mention how you are checking ATF level- if at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you are talking about this filter Rick?

Will be changing this and the gear oil today.

Last change was at 165,000 km. Odometer is currently at 186,420.

ATF level is being checked via the dip stick.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
I believe you are talking about this filter Rick?

Will be changing this and the gear oil today.

Last change was at 165,000 km. Odometer is currently at 186,420.

ATF level is being checked via the dip stick.
Is engine on/off when checking fluid level? Is fluid warm/cold when checking level? How long after you shut down engine are you checking dipstick?

Yes, that filter- change it. If it is clogged, it has a bypass built in to keep things lubricated. But I am asking you which filter you have on your car now?

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Yes. Got quoted 1000 USD for a transmission overhaul. Wondering if its worth it keeping the car anymore. Issues keep popping up.
Redline like Amsoil are real syn. fluids where as DW-1 is a "dino" fluid. With the synthetics sometimes they can fix "shudder" trans. problems, but it sounds like you have a whine, maybe being caused by your torque converter. The previous owner may of never changed the fluid causing the tq to wear prematurely. Sell the car, drive it until the trans. fails then junk it or have the trans. rebuilt. The trans. may not be your only maintenance issue @ your mileage, how much $ do you want to dump into the car ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Redline like Amsoil are real syn. fluids where as DW-1 is a "dino" fluid. With the synthetics sometimes they can fix "shudder" trans. problems, but it sounds like you have a whine, maybe being caused by your torque converter. The previous owner may of never changed the fluid causing the tq to wear prematurely. Sell the car, drive it until the trans. fails then junk it or have the trans. rebuilt. The trans. may not be your only maintenance issue @ your mileage, how much $ do you want to dump into the car ?
The way I see it (some points that you've already listed), I have the following options:
1. Drive the car as is, put up with the whine and scrap it when the Transmission fails.
2. Drive the car as is, put up with the whine and have the trans. rebuilt when the Transmission fails.
3. Rebuild transmission now.
4. Drive the car as is, put up with the whine and have the trans. replaced with a used one when the transmission fails. Est. cost: 250 USD.
5. Replace Tx with used one now.

Points to ponder:
1. Not sure what the repercussions of not fixing the issue now are.
2. Not sure if a used trans. will work as well or not (current trans. shifts very smoothly). Also scrap parts normally have a return period of a week or so, but that is painful to think about (labor charges x2).
3. From a cost POV, only other potential issues I see are a possible compressor replacement somewhere down the line - makes an occasional groaning noise now and then, and a possible repaint in a year or so.
4. I like the car otherwise :).

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
My mechanic had a customer that tried to save money by buying a junk yd. trans. & having him do the install. After finding out the 3rd. one was bad also, the customer bought a rebuilt one, spending twice as much $ in the end. As long as your trans. is shifting properly, then keep driving it, it may be yrs. before you need to do a repair on it & by then it may be time to get another car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mechanic had a customer that tried to save money by buying a junk yd. trans. & having him do the install. After finding out the 3rd. one was bad also, the customer bought a rebuilt one, spending twice as much $ in the end. As long as your trans. is shifting properly, then keep driving it, it may be yrs. before you need to do a repair on it & by then it may be time to get another car.
Thanks for the encouraging words!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
No reason to use a junkyard transmission, unless your transmission is total junk due to high miles or a fluid contamination issue. Then you get the lowest mileage transmission you can find and have it rebuilt before you put it in. Whatever you do, there is no reason to exchange an automatic transmission without it being rebuilt. The labor is in the removal and install of the transmission.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Valvoline Maxlife ATF works very well in these trannies. The whine may be no big deal at all. I drove a honda with that whine for more than 100K miles when it was hit and totaled. It always shifted well and no issues, just a whine, especially on acceleration. Just do the regular maintenance and drive it and have fun.

·
07 Sdn
430 Posts
I have the whine on acceleration, not loud enough to be noticeable over uneven road noise or music, but its there and its been there for a long time. I feel its not coming from the tranny, it almost sounds like its the drive by wire system. But maybe im totally wrong. I do have a drain and fill session i'll be doing soon, i'll see if that changes the tone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Valvoline Maxlife ATF works very well in these trannies. The whine may be no big deal at all. I drove a honda with that whine for more than 100K miles when it was hit and totaled. It always shifted well and no issues, just a whine, especially on acceleration. Just do the regular maintenance and drive it and have fun.
3 liters of oil comes out of the drain plug. 3 liters can be filled. Does the remaining oil being Honda DW-1 have any effect? ie. the two oils mixing...?

I have the whine on acceleration, not loud enough to be noticeable over uneven road noise or music, but its there and its been there for a long time. I feel its not coming from the tranny, it almost sounds like its the drive by wire system. But maybe im totally wrong. I do have a drain and fill session i'll be doing soon, i'll see if that changes the tone.
Have had 5 garages independently confirm its from the tranny now. Maybe its a slightly different noise for you. Or maybe their wrong. Either way I've decided to drive it till it breaks or gets too irritating...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.