Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently noticed my rear left wheel to be at an camber of maybe -1,-2 compared to the right rear wheel which is much straighter.
I do notice a noise coming from the right rear side of the cabin when going over 40 mph. Also note I'm running winter tires on the rear and all season tires in the front.

Heres a pic of the under carriage when bringing it in for an oil change. not sure if its the control arm, bearings, knuckles?

I'll left it up this evening for more inspection and take pics of exterior left and right sides

Thanks for your inputs

Updated pics of the left rear tire leaning inward

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
Take it to an alignment shop or someone that specializes in suspensions.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
That means the struts or control arm bushings are worn. There is also a ball joint on top of the rear knuckle that might be shot. There is no way to correct the camber with the rear suspension in its stock form, even if you go get an alignment done. You should look at what's shot and replace them. It's ok to run -2 camber, but you need to get the toe back to 0 or that tire will wear out quickly.

·
Registered
168 Posts
bostonkid,

Do you hear any noises going over bumps, such as clunks?

Do you have a jack and jack stands to lift the rear of your car? You should be able to see some positional difference between the driver and passenger side suspension parts to explain that camber. I believe it has to be due to a bushing failure.

I recently replaced the rear upper arm on the driver side due to the ball joint squeaking, not due to wheel camber. This is the same ball joint t-rd mentioned. That arm definitely could be at fault.

If you don't have the ability to jack the car up, find a reputable mechanic and see what they say.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,473 Posts
Hello, I recently noticed my rear left wheel to be at an camber of maybe -1,-2 compared to the right rear wheel which is much straighter.
-1° rear camber is normal.

Honda's specified range for rear camber is between -1.5° and -0.5°. Toe is between 0.00° and 0.16°

Without alignment readings, we won't know if anything is off. Alignment checks are free at many places. Get one and report back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
-1° rear camber is normal.

Honda's specified range for rear camber is between -1.5° and -0.5°. Toe is between 0.00° and 0.16°

Without alignment readings, we won't know if anything is off. Alignment checks are free at many places. Get one and report back.
But did he measure the wheel and determine that it had -1° camber? The way I read it, it sounded like he's eyeballing it and just giving a random number to try to describe what he's seeing. And you're right, if it was actually measured and the measurement fell within specs, then nothing to see here. I'm not familiar with measuring camber, no idea if this is something you can do yourself with common tools or if this is something best left for a tire shop.

Otherwise, if it's not been actually measured and it looks funky then some simple tests can be done with the jack in the trunk to see if everything is healthy around that wheel.

As spiritof76 mentioned, an easy test is to jack up the rear of the car and see if you can use your hands to wiggle the tire side to side. If there is any play at all, then it indicates worn ball joints or bushings... Gives you clues to what to do next. You can replace all this stuff yourself if you got the tools, otherwise head to a shop...

If you do jack up your car and try to tilt your wheel side to side, these are the points that you'd be looking for. As any of these points wear they will start to impact camber.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
The rear upper control arm with the ball joint also affects camber, on the 7th gen, because that's where my SPC adjustable arm goes to adjust the camber with suspension lowered 1".

Eye-balling is not accurate at all. I'm guessing if one side is sagged lower, then the toe is thrown out also. Camber isn't the main tire killer, toe is. Toe needs to be corrected at an alignment shop. My stock rear camber was at -1.5 degree even when the car was new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jacked up the car this morning, shook the tire vertically and horizontally and no play what so ever. Took some more detailed photos and uploaded

https://imgur.com/a/g0wRBZ2

The other than im noticing is noise (humming, very light growling niose) especially when hitting the freeway 40mph plus and its noticeable. Bad wheel bearing maybe? Sat in the back while my dad drove and its deff coming from the rear left area

Thanks for the replies guys

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,141 Posts
The other than im noticing is noise (humming, very light growling niose) especially when hitting the freeway 40mph plus and its noticeable. Bad wheel bearing maybe? Sat in the back while my dad drove and its deff coming from the rear left area
Everything in pictures seems in good order (only 1 bushing was shown anyway), except the side wall cracks on the tire. Not sure if it's due to magnification, the tire doesn't look safe.

I would address the noise problem first, before worrying about alignment. What's the tread wear condition?
I would move that tire to the other side to see if the noise moves. Once you eliminate the tire, the noise seems to indicate wheel bearing.

·
Super Moderator
6,453 Posts
Replace the tire, then get an alignment done right away to bring the toe into spec.

Lift that side of the wheel with the jack in your trunk, e-brake disengaged, then spin the wheel. If you don't hear anything with the tire spinning in the air, then it's a bad tire. The humming you hear is from cupping of the tire's inner edge due to bad alignment, but not necessarily camber caused most likely caused by bad toe setting. I have gone through this before with soft bushings on ingalls engineering control arms.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,162 Posts
We're all guessing here. Get an alignment done and post the specs.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I do notice a noise coming from the right rear side of the cabin when going over 40 mph. Also note I'm running winter tires on the rear and all season tires in the front.

Heres a pic of the under carriage when bringing it in for an oil change. not sure if its the control arm, bearings, knuckles?

I'll left it up this evening for more inspection and take pics of exterior left and right sides

Thanks for your inputs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts