Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX, 4 Cyl, 4 Door, 5 Speed Automatic with four wheel disc brakes. It now has about 74,000 miles on it and I don't know the full history of the car since I bought it used a couple years ago with 52,000 miles on it.

Almost from the beginning, my brakes haven't worked overly well. They've gotten bad enough that I now find myself downshifting into third gear trying to reduce how much I use the brakes. When needing to brake quickly, the brakes pulse badly and then fade somewhat.

I don't do much of my own work anymore and I'm sure most any repair shop can help me. But I'd like to know if there are any pads and rotors that would be recommended to eliminate as well as prevent this problem in the future?

I've thought about going with Brembo. Would Brembo pads and rotors fit/work and would they provide any benefit over factory stuff? I don't plan to replace the calipers as that would be far too costly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Pulsating rotors can be a sign of problems with your rotors. They may need to be resurfaced or replaced.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Welcome to Drive Accord and please ask questions.

Answer: New brakes and rotors- pretty much any brand will work.

Every brand of rotors and pads can go bad. Every one of them can cause pulsing. The solution is not so much in the BRAND, but in the maintenance.

This thread can quickly become a listing of brands. What you need is a thorough brake job. New rotors, new pads, new brake fluid, and the slider pins properly lubricated. If the calipers are "slow" or stuck, you may even need new brake "hardware" as two years of ignoring a problem can lead to complete failure of certain things. I know you mentioned that you don't want to replace the calipers- but two years of not fixing a problem may lead to just that.

Members here may point you to Autozone, or NAPA, or Brakemotive, or Advanced Auto. They may suggest the lifetime rotors and pads. Again, ANY brand will work. But really, your issue is finding a competent shop to do the work.

Brake jobs are super easy. But a competent brake job? You have to find out. I've seen many places cut corners and use the wrong lube- or torque improperly, or even re-install torn rubber boots.

Your Honda dealer will want about $900 for everything new. A decent mechanic may charge you half that.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic- meaning it attracts water. That is why most auto manufacturers recommend brake bleeding every three years or sooner, regardless of miles driven. I do mine every two years.

When just a little moisture mixes with brake fluid, bad things happen. Your brakes are not as "firm", they can pulsate, you can have brake fade (sometimes even within the first brake of the day), corrosion/rust in the brake lines, and worst, you can destroy your car's Automatic Braking System (ABS).

hk1: You can search for "7th Gen brake thread", and get ready. When I do them for myself/neighbors/family- it costs me about $160 for EVERYTHING. A local shop may have a mark-up on parts and labor rates could be $65 to $100 an hour (where are you located?)

Here is a good write-up from Drive Accord member "rookie" on bleeding brakes.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...+fluid+7th+gen

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like cheap pads. I have the same problem with mine. I have pulsating sometimes and other times nothing. I found that someone put cheap organic pads on my car. Im swapping pads to ceramic and new rotors tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brake issues

I also recently bought a 07 Accord with some of the same brake issues. I ended up changing both pads and rotors. One of the problems is people get el cheap o brake jobs where they just slap some pads on without cutting or replacing the rotors. I got conventional pads at first with new rotors and they made noise. Long story short, I changed over to Wagner Thermo Quiet ceramic pads, with all new hardware clips, pin bushings,caliper bolt boots, etc., no noise, no fade, excellent pads! Much cleaner rims, also!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX, 4 Cyl, 4 Door, 5 Speed Automatic with four wheel disc brakes. It now has about 74,000 miles on it and I don't know the full history of the car since I bought it used a couple years ago with 52,000 miles on it.

Almost from the beginning, my brakes haven't worked overly well. They've gotten bad enough that I now find myself downshifting into third gear trying to reduce how much I use the brakes. When needing to brake quickly, the brakes pulse badly and then fade somewhat.

I don't do much of my own work anymore and I'm sure most any repair shop can help me. But I'd like to know if there are any pads and rotors that would be recommended to eliminate as well as prevent this problem in the future?

I've thought about going with Brembo. Would Brembo pads and rotors fit/work and would they provide any benefit over factory stuff? I don't plan to replace the calipers as that would be far too costly.
You won't eliminate future chances but you can lessen the probability. Rotors warp faster as they get thinner so don't bother resurfacing. Buy new. Don't drive through large puddles or go through car washes with hot brakes. Even if you have the worse brake warping habits, you'll be cured for a long time by changing the rotors and pads. Buy the thickest, heaviest rotors you can find... Cheaper, thinner rotors will heat up faster. I just got these and they are pretty thick.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tor-wagner_15800349-p?searchTerm=brake+rotors

Pads

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...et)-wagner_99994382-p?searchTerm=ceramic+pads

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought the Hawks ceramic pads and Brembo pads for my 07 TSX. So far so good. I only put around 50 miles on them and they take time to settle in. I wanted something to be as close to OEMs (braking as well as little noise).

Funny part is yesterday even though I was planning on changing the pads, while getting my car inspected the Acura dealership wanted to charge me $1150 for pads and rotors for front and rears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts