Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Honda accord that had a used engine with 26,000 miles put in last October. In June of this year the timing chain slipped causing damage to the cylinder head. To have the head reworked it will cost $475 and I found a used engine with 176,000 miles for $355.

My question is:
1. Should I take the head off the high mileage engine and put it on the low mileage block with a new timing chain and valve lash adjustment?
2. Just put the new timing chain I bought on the high mileage engine and adjust the valve lash and drop it in?
3. Just drop the high mileage engine in and hope for the best?

Any suggestions are welcome. Work is starting Friday July 17th.:frown:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2007 Honda accord that had a used engine with 26,000 miles put in last October. In June of this year the timing chain slipped causing damage to the cylinder head. To have the head reworked it will cost $475 and I found a used engine with 176,000 miles for $355.

My question is:
1. Should I take the head off the high mileage engine and put it on the low mileage block with a new timing chain and valve lash adjustment?
2. Just put the new timing chain I bought on the high mileage engine and adjust the valve lash and drop it in?
3. Just drop the high mileage engine in and hope for the best?

Any suggestions are welcome. Work is starting Friday July 17th.:frown:
Are you doing the work yourself? If the condition of the 26K engine is known and everything is good except for the damage to the head from the interference I would probably go with it instead of a used engine. The used engine may use oil, etc. Did the 26K engine use oil or have any other issues?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I am doing the work myself this time. I am retired and can't afford to have someone else do it the second time.

In the last two months the 26K engine did seem to use oil, but never smoked. When I took the top timing cover off I discovered that a couple outer links fell off and the no.1 cam yoke was cracked. I think the links may be at the buttom of the lower valve cover or posibly dropped into the oil pan. Won't know until I get the lower cover off. I did keep up on the oil levels, never down a quart.

If I pull the head from the 176K engine I will have to invest in a gasket kit for about $125. If I drop the 176K engine I already have the timing chain kit and can put that on and adjust the valve lash at little cost.

Cost is a pertinent factor as well as longevity, since this may be my last car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chain slipped because the outer links fell off allowing it to stretch. If those out links fell to the oil pan would they cause a problem or just lay there like a rock?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Depends on the history of the engines. 176K is a lot of miles for someone to have screwed something up, like running low on oil or overheating. Mine is just over that mileage, but I know I've taken excellent care of it. To be honest though, I'm even more skeptical of the 26K engine. Why would the timing chain be falling apart on such a low mileage unit? Links don't fall off unless they are worn to hell and that means it may have other issues.

If it is a known good engine and immediate cost is a factor, I'd drop in the 176K and keep the "26K" as a backup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the engine only had 26K, could it be because it was sitting without oil in it for up to 7 years?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Since the engine only had 26K, could it be because it was sitting without oil in it for up to 7 years?
It's a timing chain though. Unless it rusted, I can't see time affecting it. All the timing chain failures I've seen on here involved bad maintenance... running the oil low, never changing oil, etc. What proof do you have that the engine has 26K?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you think I should put the new chain on first? Engine has 6 month warranty and is said to have been run before taken out and drained.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulling head

I'm going out now to remove lower timing cover and head. Will let you guys and/or gals know what I found later on. Thanks for all you comments and suggestions. Keep them coming, Friday is go day one way or another!:thmsup:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'd just drop in the complete 176k engine assuming it's been reasonably taken care of. Now would be a good time to change the vtec solenoid gasket and valve cover gasket.

If it has been taken care of the way my engine has, i'd have no problems trusting its reliability. A couple guys here have those same engines running strong with 350K+

Reactions: drgrein

·
Roll Tide!
6,795 Posts
WTH is up with all these timing chain issues lately?

This is a $5k car all day that can be found on any corner lot and littered throughout craigslist in any city in America. Stop spending so much time and money with it. Get it running an offload the damn thing. If you buy another Accord, get one with a belt. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Might just drop the 176K engine in it and take your advice! Had an issue on our Civic which was belt driven. I believe that was cause by a mechanics error in not torquing a screw tight enough, causing it to fall in the timing cover. But I was able to get it up and running in no time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm gonna say drop a v6 into it because it has to be said! as for your actual issue, I'm sorry but i have no real clue or idea that hasn't already been said

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Just the word of the salvage yard for the mileage!
Unless they give you the VIN number of the car and you can run a check, their word means squat. These cars have digital odo and half the time, they have no idea how many miles are on it. You can run a leak down tests on the engines to give you an idea of the piston wear. See which scores higher.

If you buy another Accord, get one with a belt. Good luck.
LOL, the problem is not the chain, the problem is the care. A belt will let you down faster than a chain.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts