Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My 2007 Honda Accord’s A/C just stopped working. After some research I replaced the A/C Compressor Clutch Relay, still nothing.The original relay in car was Omron brand, I bought replacement from Honda which was Mitsuba brand. I do notice the compressor clutch plate spinning on and off with old Omron relay, however no spinning at all with Mitsuba relay. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thankyou Harv

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would out put the old relay back in, at least it was applying current to the clutch. If the clutch was fast cycling that may be a sign that you are low on R134a refrigerant.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi greg1c,

Thankyou for your reply. Could I add R134a refrigerant myself, or do I need to take it to the shop? Please reply, thx again.
Harv

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
First things first. What is happening exactly? You need to check the following things.

1. When you turn on the A/C do both cooling fans on the radiator come on.
2. Does the clutch engage on the compressor?

Once we know these things we can eliminate some of the common electrical issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi greg1c,

It is fast cycling as shown in this you tube video

So I think it just needs a recharge.
Harv

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Here is the situation, it may be low on 134a coolant, but if it is not, and you add more that is a worse problem. The system is sealed if it is low then there may be a leak, the fact that the compressor comes on means there is r134a in the system. Do a visual inspection on all the A/C lines and connections, if you see dirt or dirt and oil at one of those connections it may be leaking from there. The next thing is to see if the service ports are leaking, those are the ports that look like tire valves, they should have a screw on cap. The whole system holds 19oz, so knowing there is some r134a in there now you can use one of those kits with a pressure gauge to add r134a. Before you add any note what that pressure gauge reads with the A/C off, then turn on the A/C and note what pressure you see when the clutch cycles. If it is low you will see that pressure go to almost 0. What you want to see is dependant on the temperature but between 30 and 45 psi constant. The hotter it is the higher that low side will be. Absolutely, while the compressor is on you do not want to see 60psi or above.

The worst thing is to overfill a system. You may get it cooling and a week later it leaks out. Do not use any "leak sealers", pure r134a is all you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks greg1c for all the info, let’s see how this goes. I will update results.

Harv

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi greg1c,

So my AC is back up and running . Turns out my service ports were leaking. I needed to replace the Schrader valves on both. Recharged the system, all good.

thx again

Harv

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Great to hear, the service ports valves are an issue on a lot of cars. You are going to hear the cap is good enough to keep the r134a from leaking. Not true, the cap is there to keep dirt out of the valve, not to seal it. Stay cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts