Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Thought hard but can't think of anything else to put on the title.

The car (2007 Honda Accord SE 4 Door 2.4L) feels a little aggressive moving forward when the accelerator is stepped on, making the head of the driver and passenger go a little backwards, if that makes sense.

So these were the things that I did recently on the car:

1. Fixed air pressure on all four wheels. It was quite low earlier.

2. Topped off engine oil and wiper fluid.

3. Fixed a bad trunk actuator/trunk lock

Can't think of anything else. The tires need to be replaced, I guess. I'll post the pictures shortly.

Currently, I have to be very mindful of stepping on the accelerator if not the passenger feels uncomfortable as their neck goes backwards because of velocity.

Not sure if I'm explaining the problem clearly but please let me know if something (or everything) doesn't make sense at all.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,458 Posts
My guess is part of the problem is the "Drive by wire" electronic throttle. It can be challenging to take off smoothly. Cleaning the throttle body can help, if the throttle plate is sticking, but it doesn't solve the issue altogether.

Reactions: accordian23

·
Registered
603 Posts
the accord does have a heavy but responsive throttle, could you be at a high idle thus when you step on the gas its giving it a bit more than usual? When my accord was idling high, id just let of the brake and the car would jump right up to 20kph let alone when trying to give it gas, check your idle and let me know whats its at

·
2007 Accord Coupe EX I4
554 Posts
Is there a bottle of NOS in the trunk? Just like you said, don't give so much throttle, but no one will get whiplash from an Accord's acceleration from naught.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
If what you're describing is a significantly jerky or sudden throttle there are quite a # of possible causes. The suggestion of cleaning your throttle body seems to be a good one. You should also inspect your throttle cable to see if it's operating smoothly. After that you will probably need to see if your car is throwing any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). I'm not sure what kind of readers pick them up. Our cars electronic throttle controls aren't easy to diagnose for a shade tree type mechanic.

BTW, you should always provide your car information if you want a valuable answer. V6, I4, auto, manual? And your subject line stunk. Think harder next time. :) Good luck.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Baby kept us up since 4 this morning... Haven't been entirely with it... Sorry! :thumbsup:
Babies, don't they know adults need to sleep!! :smile

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,458 Posts
Some people have changed the accelerator position sensor (DBW only), but they had more severe symptoms. I am reluctant to try a new sensor because I have no trouble codes and don't want to just guess and throw parts at it. It's not a big deal, I just have to be easy on the accelerator when taking off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks everyone for your kind responses. Greatly appreciate them. :)

Too much wiper fluid.
Really? :confused:

If what you're describing is a significantly jerky or sudden throttle there are quite a # of possible causes. The suggestion of cleaning your throttle body seems to be a good one. You should also inspect your throttle cable to see if it's operating smoothly. After that you will probably need to see if your car is throwing any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). I'm not sure what kind of readers pick them up. Our cars electronic throttle controls aren't easy to diagnose for a shade tree type mechanic.
Check engine light is NOT lit. I did have the mechanic check the diagnostic codes when the "Change oil" light was up, just in case.

No codes popped up on the OBD II Scanner.

BTW, you should always provide your car information if you want a valuable answer. V6, I4, auto, manual? And your subject line stunk. Think harder next time. :) Good luck.
My bad! Would be more diligent in the future. Updated the OP. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh wise one. "Check Engine Light" is now on. Will check what's up with that tomorrow and post right back.

My guess is part of the problem is the "Drive by wire" electronic throttle. It can be challenging to take off smoothly. Cleaning the throttle body can help, if the throttle plate is sticking, but it doesn't solve the issue altogether.
Since I'm going to the mechanic anyway for checking the codes, I'm planning to take CRC/Throttle body and air intake cleaner http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-engine-cleaners-additives/carburetor-cleaner/crc-throttle-body-and-air-intake-cleaner/55922_0_0/) to the mechanic and have him clean the throttle body. Would this work?

Or should I just get the codes for now and based on the code, we'll decide future action?

Would be great if you could please let me know when you have a moment.

The information that you guys know about cars is frankly scary. :wink

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,458 Posts
That throttlebody cleaner should work fine, but if you are taking it to a mechanic, he probably has some on hand. It should not take but a fraction of the can just to clean the throttlebody once. Good luck with it.

Reactions: accordian23

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had the mechanic check the codes and it was this one:

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)
From what I'm reading, this *might be causing the jumpy acceleration.

I requested the mechanic to clean the throttle body but he said that they don't do that particular task separately and that I have to get the "Fuel System Cleaning" package which costs $69.99, which I don't mind if it likely has the potential to fix the issue.

He has reset the code for now.

So what would you guys do next? I'll be driving to California from Albuquerque on Friday and though this is not that big of an issue, it would be nice to get it resolved, if possible.

Many thanks for your time and expert help.

EDIT: Posted a new thread for better visibility and since it was a new issue: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/328161-2007-honda-accord-se-dtc-p0171-system-too-lean-bank-1-a.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts