Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2007 SE/EX 2.4L 205/60R16? 'low noise options?'

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sequoiasoon 
#1 ·
I am hoping to get 'new' (replacement) tires eventually. The stock size is?: 205/60R16

Right? I am wondering if there are brands or models that are not too noisy. I mean, ones that don't have excessive noise.

Any brands/models to look for? I need both all-seasons and winters. I especially need winters in a few months so I could just buy those for now. I think my insurance company assumes I put winters on so I better buy at least 2 winter tires for the front? I will look for all 4 though.

I was going to look at used, too, but I probably am way more limited to what the choices are. I just want to avoid excessively noisy tires.

The tires have to be Honda-specific (particularly, when considering used tires)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 ·
I'd never put used tires on my car...like buying used shoes..what's the point??
What are you saving? so, if the car they came off of had alignment issues, scalloping, etc...now you're putting those problems on your new car....
Here's some decent low noise tires:
General Altimax RT43's
Good, fairly inexpensive, low noise all season tires made by Continental.

#4 · (Edited)
Check TireRack. watch their test reviews, read the user reviews. Also read on those that say get noisy over time. Rotations help a lot. An asymmetrical pattern that you can rotate to opposite sides helps in case of odd wear

All season- Pirelli P7 Cinturato Plus 2 I bought them for the reviews and tests. I can tell you that they are MUCH quieter than the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady. Very happy with them so far. I also bought the Scorpion Verde version for my daughters CRV, same results, much quieter. Both are really good wet and dry also.

Winter- I have Continental VikingContact 7 on 2 cars (kids) and WinterContact Si on Pilot. I had the WinterContact Si on the Accord last winter. The Si is quieter than the factory Bridgestone Duelers that came on Pilot, they were also quieter than the Assurance WeatherReady on Accord.

Quietest winter that I know was the Michelin X-ice 3. It was like an all season. Many I know loved them. Great in dry/wet/ice/light-med snow. Not as good in deeper snow BUT still better than regular all season or all weather. They have a new X-ice Snow with more aggressive tread but supposedly still quiet. They lost sales due to Xi3 not "looking" like a winter tire.

General Altimax Arctic 12 - excellent snows, wear well, not too noisy, not expensive.

Discount tire and Discount Tire Direct do some really good sales especially for black friday, even better if you have a discount tire credit card.

NOW- one tire and you could check as it should qualify. Michelin CrossClimate 2. Severe snow rated with 3PMSF symbol. Comes in H or V rating. Maybe a bit noisier than others BUT only need to buy one set (of 4). Not as good as true snows but very highly rated in snow/winter by users and websites.

You could also look at other "All Weather" versions Like Nokian WRG4 or others. They might not be as quiet. I also kind of go with I want most tread for winter. If I wear them out all summer than they might be at "snow" limit by next winter and were a bit noisier the other 3 seasons. But it is an option so you don't need 2 full sets. Some people have no place to store an extra set.

I've done used and got great deals pending what you find. I did it mainly to get snows mounted on spare rims already as I always get spare rims so I can swap in driveway. I bought one set of used Blizzak not on rims. They were 3 months old with less than 1000 miles, had receipts from Costco. Owner was moving to Florida. I got them less than 1/2 price. Check date codes etc and actual tread. good deals can be found.

Winter tires especially, ALWAYS get 4. The traction difference in stopping, turning makes just 2 dangerous (fronts grip rear slides around and will do that at speed in a turn) If on a RWD, you can go BUT not stop/turn as well.

I get 4 matching tires for summer and winter so they have same performance.

Also there is no "Honda Specific" tires.

#5 · (Edited)
Should I get rims/wheels too? I am not sure what the shape/condition the current ones are in but I could ask a tire place (but, won't they try to sell theirs?)?

Edit: Should I stick to the OEM size?

@sequoiasoon - the Arctic 12 is a good price near me - but, the X Ice-Snow is a lot quieter. 4 tires are gonna be min. $600-$700 new - winter tires and I'll need all-season after. This is just normal investment/maintenance in tires? :) I think I prefer the Michelins because they seem to be (rated as) a lot quieter. But, how much more?

I might just shop around for those two and the Turanzas (since, they're probably widely available, too). The VikingContact 7s also look good (noise/price) - and I found these as well.

#6 ·
Did you do anything last year to get you through or just make it through as is? How was winter last season?

Rims - if you get some all weather version with 3PMSF and don't plan to get separate winter tires and rims, keep what you have unless you want to change for some reason.

You didn't list what brand/model you had originally. At this point if you were ok with what you had, I would probably do an all weather so you don't need to worry about swapping. There are many newer ones with 3PMSF rating and some that had it for a long time. Nokian WRG4, Vredestein Quatrac, Michelin CrossClimate 2, General Altimax 365 AW, Bridgestone Weatherpeak,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.