Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i’ve got the j35a3. i money shifted like a dummy :( and now i’ve got a misfire, but what’s strange is that it doesn’t miss constantly. check engine light stays on, and only after about 10-15 minutes or so does the light start blinking and it’s missing. i can shut it off and back on and it goes away, wait another 10-15 minutes or so and it’s blinking and missing again. boyfriend and i bought an oreilly’s code reader, the misfire is on cylinder 6. new spark plugs and coil packs all around didn’t fix the problem. please help, i hate seeing my car like this :(

bonus: vsa and traction control light also come on

·
8th Gen Believer
4,137 Posts
We usually don't respond to people intentionally mucking up their cars. The members here spent good money to buy and maintain their Accords. Money shifting. You're right. It's stupid. Given that, do a compression check on #6. You probably blew the engine. Serves you right. Moderators, please drop this idiot.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
377 Posts
We usually don't respond to people intentionally mucking up their cars. The members here spent good money to buy and maintain their Accords. Common sense would tell you to lay off the money shifting. You're right. It's stupid. Given that, do a compression check on #6. You probably blew the engine. Serves you right. Moderators, please drop this idiot.
Seems a little uncalled for, people make mistakes. I'd rent a compression tester and check cylinder #6. You could still be lucky and have only bent a valve, which isn't too bad to fix. If you also damaged the piston though you would need a new engine.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Ahhh....youth!..lol...
You may have permanently damaged the tranny but it's something you'll have to get diagnosed at a good shop or, a dealer.
"An expensive trip may be in your future!" so says the Swami...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ahhh....youth!..lol...
You may have permanently damaged the tranny but it's something you'll have to get diagnosed at a good shop or, a dealer.
"An expensive trip may be in your future!" so says the Swami...
View attachment 532591
YEP, I was thinking the same thing... keywords Manual, Money Shift, j35a3... ECU throw codes but they can sometimes come from other issues.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
My guess is you bent a valve on one or or more cylinder's. Check compression on all cylinders.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: abbeyrenee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We usually don't respond to people intentionally mucking up their cars. The members here spent good money to buy and maintain their Accords. Money shifting. You're right. It's stupid. Given that, do a compression check on #6. You probably blew the engine. Serves you right. Moderators, please drop this idiot.
i’m so sorry to have offended you so highly. it was most definitely an accident. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Compression test is where I'd start. You can rent them from autoparts stores or buy one for cheap from Harbor Freight or Amazon

Reactions: abbeyrenee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess is you bent a valve on one or or more cylinder's. Check compression on all cylinders.

i took it to a shop and they said compression on cyl 6 was low, guy said he worked it back up but it was still misfiring. i will look into getting my own though because dude also charged me $420 and didn’t even take the valve cover off to look at anything and a compression test wasn’t included in the diag fee, yet just about everywhere else it is so i’ve heard. so idk how much i trust what he says. i’m just hoping a valve didn’t make friends with a piston haha

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I will say you need to check the compression on all cylinders, then compare the cylinders and see if they are all within 10%.

Once you know which cylinders you are dealing with, you need to do a leak down test on the low cylinders. The leak down test will pinpoint where the compression is leaking out. It could be 1 of 4 places

1. Past the piston rings
2. Bent or bad intake valve
3. Bent or bad exhaust valve
4. Blown head gasket leaking into coolant system

That test determines how you fix the issue. A good tool to show the low compression issue is to video the startup and you can hear a low cylinder.

Good video on how to troubleshoot this issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts