Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 4 cyl, 4 door Accord EX. I looked online to figure out if it I have a timing belt or timing chain and it seems like there is conflicting reports as to whether it's a belt, chain, or hybrid belt-chain.

I have 85k miles and would like to change it if it's a belt.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
From what I know-

4 cyl=CHAIN
6 cyl=BELT

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
All K-series Honda 4 cylinder engines have had timing chains since 2002. The J-series V6 still has a timing belt.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Chains are generally more robust compared to belts . The most belts last is like 60-100K (I am not so sure if thats a real safe 100k or just to make the 100k mark) .

Rattmann your issue was not the chain, but a domino affect from bad VTC>tensioner issue .
Chains can and for most part last a lot more than 100K , after that point if wear happens they get noisy and then will need replacing . I am pretty sure chain stretching will cause check engine with Honda . This is in check by the cam and crank sensor checks .

Both chain and belt have there plus and minus area's but chains have good lifetime in general on most engines . Thats why a lot of manufactures and engines have moved to chains over the yrs .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4 cyl Accord with 210k on it with everything original other than starter and alternator. I use mobil 1 synthetic every 4k and change transmission oil every 50k. My accord can go another 100k with no problem. Chain is the best!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chains are generally more robust compared to belts . The most belts last is like 60-100K (I am not so sure if thats a real safe 100k or just to make the 100k mark) .

Rattmann your issue was not the chain, but a domino affect from bad VTC>tensioner issue .
Chains can and for most part last a lot more than 100K , after that point if wear happens they get noisy and then will need replacing . I am pretty sure chain stretching will cause check engine with Honda . This is in check by the cam and crank sensor checks .

Both chain and belt have there plus and minus area's but chains have good lifetime in general on most engines . Thats why a lot of manufactures and engines have moved to chains over the yrs .
Had mine changed. Got my dealer to do it. Did the whole kit and kaboodle.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Great observation, what service maintenance do you recommend for a 2008 Honda Accord 4cyl. with 100K?

·
Registered
63 Posts
In my experience a chain is usually worse than a belt ,from the perspective of being a used car that could have potentially been abused. (Saturn sl2 276k miles chain was done )

The most standard service you will see recommended here is to change all fluids and do a 3x drain and fill on the transmission. I would also say check the tires as well. Besides changing the air filter,spark plugs,trans fluid and engine oil you won't have to do much to these cars besides rotate your tires and replace probably every 3 to 4 years

·
Madiganistan/Chicago
144 Posts
I'm at 173k on my 08 4cyl
I've replaced brakes a few times, ATF drain and fill every 30k, 1 alternator, 1 ps pump, valve adjustment, spark plugs, PCV valve x2, coolant/heater core clogged flushed x1, ps cooler tube rusted leaking x1, 2 batteries, serp belt x1 and tensioner x1,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts