Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a litt help. I also have an 03 Accord EXl 4cy. The plastic key fobs broke so I ordered 4 of the plastic blanks on EBay for $10. I used a mobile locksmith to cut three of the four and put my combination switch (push buttons) from the old keys in the new keys I had cut. Guy charged me $60 to cut 3 keys. So I took the old keys apart and cut the immobilizer out of them and put in the new keys. Even used a razor blade to remove the Honda emblem from the old keys and glued to the space provided for the emblem on the new keys. Look just like factory Honda keys and work like a champ. Just be careful removing the immobilizer from the old keys. I used wire snips and cut into it enough to get the little RIF chip (immobilizer chip) out. It was easy and saved a ton of money.

Here's my problem with my 08 Accord EXL V6. Key fobs work sometimes and don't most of the time. I saw the Honda TSB that the original 08 key fobs the circuit board was too far away from the button pad and thats why the don't work all the time. Honda came out with a revised and improved combination switch (just the key pad part in the fob, Honda p/n 72147-TA0-A03. I was going to buy two of the new revised key pads (combination switch they call it) and install it in my old 08 keys. Then I would just need to program the key pad to open/unlock my doors and everything its supposed to do. I figured I would just remove the key pad from my old 08 key, drop in the new revised 08 key pad and then program my keys to the car to open/unlock, etc. I assumed the key innards would be just like the 03 key. Guy at Honda parts counter told me the 08-2012 key fob does not have the immobilizer built into the key body itself like the 03 model did, he saiid the little immobilizer chip (rif chip) is now mounted inside the new button assembly (combination switch) and not mounted separately inside the key fob. He saiys Honda would have to program the new key because the immobilizer is built into the combo switch and not built into the key housing. Anybody know if this is correct or not?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot this part of my question. On the new and improved combination switch (key fob button pad) for my 08 Accord can I remove the immobilizer chip (RIF Chip) from inside the old combination switch and put it inside the new combination switch similar to how you can on the 03 model? I just hate to pay the dealer a penny for faulty manufacturing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.