Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Accord. The original motor failed in cylinder 4. I currently am doing and engine swap using a Japanese motor (I have been told it has 70K miles). The only difference so far is the Variable valve timing solenoid plug of the harness. The solenoids from each motor do fit each other. However, the new motor solenoid is different in design and length. It seals and seats.
The main question I have is that the original has a different electrical plug connector. I have swapped the original harness and this is the only incompatibility so far.

Can I keep the original solenoid in place and splice the two wires two the plug?

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts
What motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for your question.
It is a 4 Cyl manual 2.4L. Again my dilemma is when I placed the original harness on the new motor, the only connector that was not compatible was the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid.
Can I keep the original Solenoid in place and just splice the new Solenoid connector (two wires) to the original harness? Can the original motor Solenoid be used in the new Japanese motor?
Please see the attached photos.

Sorry I meant to say:
Can I keep the original Solenoid in place and just splice the new Solenoid connector (two wires) to the original harness? Or plan B: can the original motor Solenoid be used in the new Japanese motor? They do interchange and seal on the block, but of course the seals and ports are different.

Attachments

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts
It says RBB on it, so I assume it's a K24A high performance from Japan? I think you need to splice the wires. Even then, there's no guarantee that it'll work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told by the seller here in Washington State that it was a Japanese engine. I don't t know if it is a high performance K24A. I have heard I can check by the starter.
How will I know if it works after splicing the wire?

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts
You'll need to see if the cam angle works by viewing it live with Ktuner or a wireless OBDII dongle. You probably also need to tune the car with Ktuner since the K24A high performance has VTEC on both intake and exhaust.

You better hope that it's the high performance and not the eco. Other wise you just lost performance for nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll need to see if the cam angle works by viewing it live with Ktuner or a wireless OBDII dongle. You probably also need to tune the car with Ktuner since the K24A high performance has VTEC on both intake and exhaust.

You better hope that it's the high performance and not the eco. Other wise you just lost performance for nothing.
Just confirmed it is a K24A

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts
There's many versions of the K24A, do you know which version it is?

·
Turbo lag
1,935 Posts
There's probably stickers on the engine that can give you some clues. Or a Vin plate that you can back track what kind of car it came off of.

You can also tell from the intake manifold. The ECO version used the RAA manifold and the performance version used the RBB manifold. The manifold version should be stamped/casted on to the manifold itself.

Edit: LOL, I'm an idiot. It literally says RBB on the solenoid. I think it's safe to assume it's the K24A high performance. You can still double check with methods above.

Otherwise see below.

·
port & polish everything
1,655 Posts
You might have a couple things going on. Assuming both are actually K24Z, the RBB part might be closer to a TSX/Civic SI part, but R44 isn't a listed Accord part now either. Maybe it was revised or obsoleted.

15830-RBB-003 Valve, TSX/Civic SI
15830-R5A-A01 Valve, Accord

You might have problems though because it seems like the TSX/Civic SI don't have the same VTC sprocket as the Accord. Not sure if they are interchangeable. Presumably the VTC valve controls the sprocket actuator.

14310-R40-A02 Actuator, TSX/Civic SI
14310-R44-A01 Actuator, Accord

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's probably stickers on the engine that can give you some clues. Or a Vin plate that you can back track what kind of car it came off of.

You can also tell from the intake manifold. The ECO version used the RAA manifold and the performance version used the RBB manifold. The manifold version should be stamped/casted on to the manifold itself.
Well the solenoid says RBB. I cannot see a ID on the intake can it be in the intake serial number?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts