Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I live in Canada and it's -24° C right now, but the heater just does not warm up the car. Even on 2-hour trips, it will still be jacket-only temperature inside the car

It's really bugging me right now because I have a Sonata loaner while my car gets some hail damage repaired. And the heater in the Sonata positively roasts me.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know what can be done? Is the heater core just too small? Could there be blockage or something?

·
08 Accord V6 Coupe w/ NAV
3,260 Posts
I'm not sure what's going on but are you keeping the recirculate on? Just like AC, keeping the recirculate on might help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
this is a rather simple problem to solve.. you are saying the outside is -24, your honda only goes up to 30 degrees so if you do the math you can only get up to 6 degrees. which means you still need to wear a jacket. lol. im just messing i dont really know

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
4,097 Posts
It should warm up after 15 or so minutes of driving...

·
Registered
87 Posts
This was also one of my complains about the 2011 Accord. The heater simply does not get hot enough to address outside temps below 30 degrees. My Civic, Ody, and RSX have no problems producing hot air in the winter.

Note that I have two 2011 Accords and both have the same heating problem.

donjuancarlos, the only solutions I have found is:
1) In order to turn off the "auto" temp controls, you need to have the temp on HI. If you have dual climate control, have both on HI. Any other temp setting will cause the car to try an maintain that temp (which clearly too cold).

2) After the car has warmed up for a few minutes, turn on the recirculate. You will notice that the heater temp will jump (much hotter). Keep the recirculate on until the windows begin to fog up. Then turn it off. The car should stay warm now.

Seems the accound heater simply can't overcome outside temps below 30. This is a design flaw... since none of the other Honda's Ive owned have behaved like this (20 years of owning hondas).

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Okay, I live in Canada and it's -24° C right now, but the heater just does not warm up the car. Even on 2-hour trips, it will still be jacket-only temperature inside the car

It's really bugging me right now because I have a Sonata loaner while my car gets some hail damage repaired. And the heater in the Sonata positively roasts me.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know what can be done? Is the heater core just too small? Could there be blockage or something?
So you get some heat, but not a lot of heat. That means we know your heater core gets fluid. By any chance, do you have an OBD2 reader- something like a Scangauge? If yes, what is your radiator fluid temperature? It should be about 198*F or about 92*C. If it is less, you may have a thermostat problem. It may let too much fluid flow through the radiator. As a result, your radiator fluid may not get "hot" and can therefore not provide enough heat to your heater core to adequately heat your cabin. Just out of curiosity, if you accelerate hard for several seconds, do you feel anything that may resemble a surge of heat? Also, if you change the heat setting on HVAC, does the temperature change?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would honestly check the coolant level..... if you can get your hands on A pressure tester for the radiator to check for leak or look around to see a crack on the main coolant passages in the radiator and if your getting some type of heat bit not enough let me ask you this ever change your cabin filter cause if that's clogged. You won't get the full potential the heater n blower motor dude to a cclogged cabin filter ......lmk

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would honestly check the coolant level.....
Exactly what im thinking. Check you anti-freeze, it could also be a obstruction in the system.

·
Reverse Gear
779 Posts
Exactly what im thinking. Check you anti-freeze, it could also be a obstruction in the system.
+1

That was a problem on my buddy's mazda truck, topped off the antifreeze and heater worked like new. Make sure when you top it off (car has to be cold when you are doing this) to run the car for a minute as it might force a few extra air bubbles out of your system. Do not run it too long with the cap off or you will need to clean up antifreeze everywhere. :thmsup:

·
Brake/Suspension Geek
115 Posts
I think its a design flaw as well.
My 2010 has less than 4k miles (so I'd doubt anything is low/blocked/defective), and just can't keep up with the Chicago winters.
It gets warm, but nothing like my 7G used to.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I don't have the same weather, but do wonder the same thing. I'm going guess it's the blower fan. It seems weak that I have to turn it up high to get some heat. On other brand cars, low works just fine. Once I turned it up high, it does the job (for me).

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've noticed my 8th Gen takes a little longer then my 7th Gen, but it still seems to throw off plenty of heat once it gets going. I agree with the other posters, check your fluid levels and/or have your heater checked, something seems wrong.

For the record it was 16F (-9C) on my drive in this am and no problems.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only way the blower motor gets weak if its noisy........ check and clean the cabin filter out the blower blows thru the filter ..
if its clogged the air flow is not the same. Restricted which cause lack of heat ......

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Heat

Noticed the same thing on my "11"..The heat only gets really toasty when it is on HI. If I set the controls to automatic or put it on 83 for example it actually seems to blow tepid air. But on HI it gets real warm so I don't think there is anything wrong with it mechanically, just a design flaw or at least poor quality decision making on this issue. I am a thin guy too which adds to the problem of cold in the winters and think weight does factor into how one feels inside the car with the heater on in cold weather.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts

I have the same car and I have plenty of heat. As was said before, check your cabin filter as it may be clogged.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Accord Coupe - V6, 6-speed
72 Posts
Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. After driving for 10-15 minutes is your temperature gauge in the middle? If not, you'll have to drain the coolant and replace it (they aren't expensive) and then re-fill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
heat

the heater works pretty well on the 8th gen.. I live in Canada too and dont feel cold at all, after the engine gets warm ofcourse. The heater works pretty well. I would get the heater checked and the coolant level.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Im starting to change my mind, it was -3 this morning and inside the car didnt get hot. I drove the car for 40 miles and at best it got a little warm.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
It was -28C here this morning and I left the house (after the car really struggled to start) with the window defroster blowing. Car would not warm up until I cut down on the blower fan speed. Once warmed up the heat was fine. Pollen filter replaced 3 months ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts