Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for some help in troubleshooting this issue I am having.

2008 Accord V6 (4 dr) with about 58,000 mi.

One day out of the blue the car started making a loud whining/low groaning sound when at idle. When in P and raising the rpm the noise got louder and came back down as rpm dropped. Same happens when driving. Noise did not get louder when turning the wheel (just a very little bit as the rpm went up a bit while turning)

I took it to the dealer thinking it was the alternator (i saw a video on youtube of an Acura with the same exact noise with a bad alternator). The dealer said it was the power steering pump. I paid $500 after discounts for a new PS pump (and oil change!).

The noise is 90% better.. but there is still a whine or whistle at idle. It's not associated with turning the wheel but it does get a bit better after driving. I can hear it at idle and when coming to a stop at a light at low rpm. It may be present at higher rpm but I can't hear it over the road and engine noise.

The dealer mechanic and shop foreman said they can hear the whistle but don't know what can be done and think it's part of the normal engine sound. Sorry buddy, it wasn't there before this issue happened. They did agree to replace the pump but I don't want to end up in the same situation if the pump itself is ok now.

I read a lot about <= 2007 accord with the TSB for O-ring but I'm not sure if that applies to 2008 models.

Is there anything else I can do to narrow down the issue and eliminate certain things? I read about removing the serpentine belt but I'm a bit hesitant in doing that as I don't know how to get the tension right when putting it back.

Are there any tips/advice when i go back to the dealer?

Is there anything else I can do at home? pulling out relays/fuses to components to troubleshoot?

thank you!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
I've replaced a serp belt on a V6 Odyssey that's the same engine as in the V6 Accord. It's an autotensioner so you just get the belt off, put new belt on, and you're good to go. But the Gearwrench Serp. Belt tool because it's worth the $50 admission price.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,965 Posts
It may be a leaky exhaust whine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts