Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've ebcame the latest person affected by the #3 Cylinder misfire and oil consumption issues. My Accord has 70k on it. Mostly highway miles. On Wednesday I got the flashing MIL light. Turned the car off in the driveway, checked the sparkplugs and saw the #3 Cylinder plug was fouled. I had a spare plug so I installed it. No more misfire.

I took it to honda anyway along with the bad plug. I got a call friday morning that there was a TSB for the PCM update and that they were going to do that. They also replaced the plug with a new one for free. They said honda is aware of the oil consumption and fouled plug issue as they go hand in hand. I was told to check on my oil level for the next 6k miles. If I am short on oil, they will take the car in and do whatever needs to be done. Service manager said it could be new valve seals or a complete new shortblock. He said my issue is likely to return but for now he had to follow protocall.

What exactly the PCM update takes care of, I don;t know but was told it was related to the VCM system and it almost always happens in Cylinder #3

·
Registered
682 Posts
Glad to read that the dealership is being cooperative. Keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No oil on dipstick

Sorry if I'm bumping an old thread, especially since I'm new, but this looked to be the right place.

I have an 09 V6 EX-L with 49K miles on it.

This morning I checked my oil because I've been having some surging/bucking driving on flat surfaces with what I thought was the transmission or VCM. I'd read hear and other places about how low oil pressure/level can possibly cause this.

Anyway, I was shocked to find NO oil on the dipstick. This is with the car sitting level in my garage and a cold engine.

Now, I'm pretty sure that the dipstick only measures some % of level from the top and not the absolute bottom, but I would think that no reading is bad. There may have been a drop touching the very bottom, but it's hard to tell if that was just scraped from the tube on the way up.

I used my wife's van to go buy some oil just so I could get it to the dealership.

They gave me a lecture about how Honda has since learned that Maintenance Minder is too long an interval and that they recommend changing the oil at 20-30% oil life (I usually took mine in at 15 or when the light came on).

Problem is, my MM was at 40%, yet apparently there was no oil left at that point.

Now I'm on the consumption watch plan, but my confidence is pretty shaken in this car. I wouldn't expect that it would use up all its oil in 7,000 miles. And I also don't expect that it will miraculously stop now that it's started.

I've had a rough idle occasionally lately which I assume is my #3 cylinder plug or maybe another VCM issue. Nothing is throwing an MIL yet though. It will idle rough one day but then run fine for weeks.

I asked the service rep if I needed the PCM flash done, but according to the printout he showed me from the computer, I didn't. He showed me a printout with my VIN and any TSB's related, and it only showed one related to having a bra/wind deflector on the car.

I didn't really post this for advice, but rather to add my name to the list of people affected by what seems to be an issue with this motor.

I'm probably going to trade this car off soon, even though I'd hoped to keep it much longer. It's my first Honda and I bought it for the reliability. I think I'll look for something less complex. I think the VCM system is just too complex and uses engine oil in ways it shouldn't be used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts