Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
Getting an error on my old now my mom's Accord. It's a 2008 with the K24 motor. I got the following codes with a flashing SES light and a VSA and traction control off light. Also the car seems to stumble past 2,500 rpm I am assuming it's in limp mode. It's not being driven at the moment.

P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

I searched and found this link http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42184&highlight=p0339
I went ahead and replaced the battery because it was ancient and needed replacement anyways. Still having the same issue, so replace the sensor? Any ideas?

Here is the code I pulled;

I also checked the sensor and wiring to see if anything was out of the ordinary. Looks fine, the sensor will be here soon and we will go from there. Too bad no one has the crankposition sensor in stock, I had to call 4 places just to find spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Seems you are taking the same approach as I would. If a new sensor doesnt fix the problem then the wiring would be the next thing to check. Not sure what the connector pinouts would be tho (other than power, ground, and signal).

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
You did read that TSB on this issue?

Applies To: 2008 Accord L4 – ALL
2009 Accord 4-door L4 – From VIN 1HGCP2...9A000001 thru 1HGCP2...9A114315
– From VIN JHMCP2...9C000001 thru JHMCP2...9C017331
2009 Accord 2-door L4 – From VIN 1HGCS1...9A000001 thru 1HGCS1...9A015888

SYMPTOM
The MIL comes on with DTC P0339 (crankshaft
position sensor [CKP] intermittent interruption). DTCs
P0302 and P0303 (No. 2 and No. 3 cylinder misfire
detected) may also be stored.
PROBABLE CAUSE
If the engine is cranked with a low battery, the ECM/
PCM may incorrectly judge the crankshaft sensor
position.
CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software with the HDS, and do the
CKP pattern clear and learn procedure.
Out of warranty: Any repair performed after warranty
expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by
the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone
Office. You must request consideration, and get a
decision, before starting work

So the question is, has this update been done? Because it is a 2008 all of them needed to be updated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced the sensor, it runs a bit better less lights no vsa and traction off. Still same codes are being thrown take longer but will go into limp mode.

greg1c I did see the part about needing a reflash and relearn, but I was hoping I might not need it as the closest Honda place, Bob Howard are douche bags. I showed there service team this bulletin and they wanted $200 for spark plugs and wires (yes wires). Then another $200 for a Valve Adjustment, that was just to start. They wouldn't even begin to look at anything else because the sparkplugs were dirty. So I will call a different Honda place and see if they can't update and relearn for me.

I didn't see the part where all Vins are effected on the 08 Accord. That will help me negotiate with the service team. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I know it's been a while since you started this post. I have a similar problem with my 2008 Honda accord, and I will appreciate what was your final solution to this problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have honda accord 2009. My car stumble very often and is not running smooth.
P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit is coming and battery is two years old.
Also, on startup it take a little long time.

What solution did you make with your car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had these exact problems with my 09 accord 2.4 for the last 2 years! Spark plugs have been replaced, started replaced before the car started acting up, battery also replaced recently. Also have replaced the crankshaft position sensor 3 times & the wire harness twice along with numerous relearns. In the past I have been able to unplug my battery for a couple of hours then the car would be fine but this time... It's been in my employers parking lot bc that hasn't worked. I'm beyond frustrated bc the mechanics who have had my car refuse to listen to me & go beyond the code itself. Any & ALL help greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2008 Accord just started acting up with the exact same problem. Anyone have a solution yet? Thanks, joe

Hi All, I added an additional ground from the block to a point on the right side shock tower. I used 10ga stranded wire, crimped and soldered a lug on each side. It's been almost a month, and the P0339 has not returned. I don't think this is guaranteed solution for everyone, but so far it has worked for me. Any followups will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. My starter was replaced about two years ago with a NAPA remanufactured unit. The car turns over just as fast as it ever did, but just started throwing the code about a month ago. Hard to justify $541 for a new one from Honda. Can you recommend any aftermarket starters as not having this problem? Greatly appreciate your response. joe

·
8th Gen Believer
4,069 Posts
Problem is with the starter. If its worn out or aftermarket the cranking speed and pattern doesnt match honda specs. See this problem all the time with aftermarket starters
I've read several posts over a couple of years on faulty aftermarket starter motors. It seems to be a genuine issue.

Reactions: greg1c

·
Registered
24 Posts
had the same issue and cleared it with a code reader....so far its gone for good but im very interested in knowing how this gets resolved via a different/actual method.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if I am repeating some of these issues , just trying to limit the damage. Same codes , P339 with Cylinders 2 and 3 miss fires.
1- Starter replaced about 5 months ago at local mechanic. Noticed it was a little slower but works fine.
2- 4 weeks ago - Got the Check engine light, VCR light and limp mode but restarting the engine a couple times and it went away.
Figured it was computer reset due to cleaning the battery the night before. Running well.
3- 2 weeks ago - back into limp mode with flashing CEL. Local shop replaced one Cam sensor and crank sensor, relearned computer but couldn't
get it out of limp mode or CEL to go off. Said I needed computer flash update at Honda dealer.
4- Towed to dealer- They said it needs Honda sensors and starter for update to work. Im checking with Local shop but I'm sure they
didnt use Honda , just charged the same. Honda also said bring in the old sensors but Id be surprised if he still had them ( Im calling on Monday )

Question: Do you really need Honda sensors and Battery for flash to work? Doesn't the flash just open the spec from the sensors. I hate to pay for the starter sensors and install all over again but the car is probably worth it . It also has the VCR rattle on cold start up but I dont thins that is related.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Read this about TSB 09-050. This sounds like your issue. I posted the entire TSB earlier in this thread.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/honda-service-bulletin-09-050/

Looks like you need a code upgrade to solve this issue. While others shops may be able to do it, a Honda dealership should have the proper code and tools to complete this.

While the code upgrade is needed it could also be bad starters and weak batteries and or weak cabling causing issues. If you have a battery tester like a Solar BA-9 it will show cranking voltage. I suspect the issue is low voltage at the sensor during cranking. The software update most likely modifies the pattern and voltage required.

Upgrading the cabling to the battery could help as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, as a local shop owner I want to say thanks for all the input! I updated the computer on customer's car and relearn per tsb, new battery, added ground wire, still had issue. After reading I suspected stater especially with 209k on it. Replaced it with an Ultima rebuilt from Oreilly's and found the old one was a napa starter of unknown age. It's hard to tell a difference in the starting speed but it was having long crank time and now it cranks right up and no more codes. Issue is resolved for the time being, time will tell if this one slows down as well....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All, I added an additional ground from the block to a point on the right side shock tower. I used 10ga stranded wire, crimped and soldered a lug on each side. It's been almost a month, and the P0339 has not returned. I don't think this is guaranteed solution for everyone, but so far it has worked for me. Any followups will be greatly appreciated.
Has this worked?or still working?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this issue and my new aftermarket starter lasted all of three weeks before throwing the code again.

I needed an oem rebuilt starter to fix the issue. It cranks much faster than before

1 - 20 of 35 Posts