Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Forum-goers, as you might have guessed, my 2008 EXL V6 (which has 80k miles) is having some trouble.

This afternoon, while sitting at a stop light, I heard a high-pitched, whirring noise. After turning off the radio and AC to try and hear better, the sound was still there, but there were no noticeable performance issues at the time. The light turned green so I turned the AC back on (I'm in Charleston, SC...it's hot!) and, within 5 minutes, had arrived at my destination. I put the car in park, but the noise was gone.

15 minutes later, I was on to my next destination. Three minutes into the drive, I was at another stop light but didn't hear the noise (to be truthful, I wasn't listening for it with the surrounding traffic.) What DID happen was a lack of response when I switched from brake to gas. The car lurched forward into my turn as if there were a delay in my hitting the gas. Once going (speed limit was 30mph), the car ran fine, however, seconds later, I was turning into my destination when the same "delay" and lurching happened again. Initially fearing a transmission issue, I didn't bother hitting the gas and coasted into a parking space. Once I put it in park, the battery light came on. No check engine light, no trans code being thrown, just the battery light.

Exactly one week ago, I was at the dealership getting my "Cylinder 2 misfire" code tended to. During the visit, they gave the battery a passing score, so now I'm thinking it may be an alternator issue, but wanted to post here to get some feedback.

Have any of you experienced similar issues?

·
Registered
151 Posts
In colder weather, my headlights would give a quick flicker when going through the gears or slowing. Also when the cold weather hit, my map lights went out. In the hot summer months, the map lights would work again but the navigation would crap out periodically. Never got a diagnosis- traded it in.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
If the battery light is on, most likely it is a bad alternator, in most cases it is only worn out brushes. They are easy to replace.

·
Cooklung
36 Posts
+1 on the alternator. Does the old trick of disconnecting the battery while the car is running still work? I remember on old cars, that was an east way to check the alternator. If the car still ran fin with the battery disconnected, that ruled out an alternator issue. Not sure about newer cars though.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Pulling the battery cable is not a good idea on new cars, way to many electronics that do not like voltage spikes. It is best to use a voltmeter to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts