Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First post here. I bought my 2008 Honda Accord EXL V6 Coupe about 3 months ago. It has 70 000 miles on it. I bought it "Certified Used" from Hall Honda. They told me that all the maintenance was recently done and all the fluids where changed and all that. New battery, everything. I bought the car and left the lot and the car is still running perfectly. However after a few days I noticed that the oil life was at 40%. So I called the dealership and asked why it was so low and they said the mechanics probably forgot to reset it when they changed the oil.

Now my oil life is at 15% and as soon as it reached the 15% the little wrench popped up and the code A12 shows on the dashboard. Now I did some research and confirmed with the owners manual that that code means an oil change, tire rotation and cabin filter change.

My question is if they forgot to reset the sensor when they changed the oil, do I really need an oil change? And do I really need a tire rotation and cabin filter?

What would you guys recommend I do? Also how much would a Honda Dealer charge for this A12 service? My car takes synthetic oil I believe.

Thanks!

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,220 Posts
My question is if they forgot to reset the sensor when they changed the oil, do I really need an oil change? And do I really need a tire rotation and cabin filter?
They say they did the fluid changes, but how do you really know if it was done or not? You can pull the dip stick and check the fluid condition and well as check the oil filter housing to see if it looks new or not.

If you're unsure, then just get the oil changed. A dealer and most oil change places will charge you about $30 for a conventional oil and filter change. If you do it yourself, 5 qts of conventional oil and a filter will run you no more than $20. $20-$30 is worth it to ensure you have good clean oil in the engine.

Do you need a tire rotation? :dunno: Check the tread depth for the front and rear tires. If the rear has more tread than the front, rotate them. Tire rotations are about $15-$20, or $0 if you do it yourself.

Do you need a new cabin filter? :dunno: Open the glove box, pull the filter and check. Dirty? Change it. A new filter is about $20. But if you have the dealer do it, they'll charge you closer to $100 for it because of the "extensive amount of labor involved" :lmao: (takes less than 2 minutes to change out)

For a 2008 car, I'd also check the transmission fluid condition too. Pull the dip stick and check it. It should be reddish. If it's not, then change it. Chances are it wasn't/hasn't been changed. A DIY drain and refill of the ATF is pretty simple. If it's a manual transmission, then you can probably wait. The auto transmission is more sensitive. But if you want to change it yourself, it's pretty easy to do too.

You can also find many other DIY instructions and other info by using the search feature.

While you're at it, check the power steering fluid. It should be clean and clear. If it's dark, change it. This fluid is often overlooked.

Then there's the brake fluid. It's recommended that it be changed (bled) every 3 years. Chances are this has never been done as it's another fluid that often gets overlooked.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I second the post above. I'd just change out the oil just to be safe. honda makes great engines, but you definitely don't want to mess with the v6 in 8th gen especially if you have VCM.

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Cheap piece of mind to inspect everything and change the oil again if you don't want to take he dealer's word for it.

Personal note about the Maint Minder.... I always rotate my tires every 5,000 miles regardless of the Maint Minder schedule which typically indicates to rotate the tires in 12,000 - 15,000 mile intervals. IMO that's too long. At that point the front tires will show noticeably more wear than the rear tires. By rotating every 5K (or at least every oil change), your tires should wear evenly at all four corners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts