Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and I am getting some squeeling noises from the brakes when I stop. I called my local dealership where I purchesed the car from and the told me to bring it in so they could check it out, so I asked how much they charge for brake repairs. The guy continued to tell me $400 for the fronts if I don't need new rotors, $550 with new rotors, $350 for the rear and, this is the best part, they would charge me $50 just to LOOK at the brakes to tell me if I needed new pads and what not. I don't know if it is just me but I think that sounds kind of ridiculous. Any way I've decided to buy the parts myself and either have my cousin who is a certified mechanic or my friend who is also a certified mechanic do the work. So my question is what are the best pads and rotors for my car? I would appreciate any response.

Thank you!

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Please use the SEARCH button on the top of the page.

There is more information that any normal person would ever want to know on the Brake subject.

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
I have a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and I am getting some squeeling noises from the brakes when I stop. I called my local dealership where I purchesed the car from and the told me to bring it in so they could check it out, so I asked how much they charge for brake repairs. The guy continued to tell me $400 for the fronts if I don't need new rotors, $550 with new rotors, $350 for the rear and, this is the best part, they would charge me $50 just to LOOK at the brakes to tell me if I needed new pads and what not. I don't know if it is just me but I think that sounds kind of ridiculous. Any way I've decided to buy the parts myself and either have my cousin who is a certified mechanic or my friend who is also a certified mechanic do the work. So my question is what are the best pads and rotors for my car? I would appreciate any response.

Thank you!
On the 8th gen' Accords ('08+ models), there is an issue w/ rear brakepads prematurely wearing-out (~15k miles, +/- 1k miles) & notable "squealing" when nearing the end.

There was a class action lawsuit against Honda & a settlement. A revised rear brakepad w/ new P/N along w/ different springs & caliper adjustment was recommended by Honda. There is up to $150 compensation as a reimbursement for this repair (if done w/ new revised brakepads) or up to $125 if done w/ the old brakepad (original P/N), and 50% if done w/ after-market brakepads.

My dealer charged $169'ish installed (parts/labor/etc) for the new rear brakepads (w/ new revised P/N) & Honda compensated me $150 later (w/ completed invoice/form/etc).

Read this: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52994

And the search function is invaluable! :cool:

·
Motor City
707 Posts
On the 8th gen' Accords ('08+ models), there is an issue w/ rear brakepads prematurely wearing-out (~15k miles, +/- 1k miles) & notable "squealing" when nearing the end.

There was a class action lawsuit against Honda & a settlement. A revised rear brakepad w/ new P/N along w/ different springs & caliper adjustment was recommended by Honda. There is up to $150 compensation as a reimbursement for this repair (if done w/ new revised brakepads) or up to $125 if done w/ the old brakepad (original P/N), and 50% if done w/ after-market brakepads.

My dealer charged $169'ish installed (parts/labor/etc) for the new rear brakepads (w/ new revised P/N) & Honda compensated me $150 later (w/ completed invoice/form/etc).

Read this: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52994

And the search function is invaluable! :cool:
How long did you have to wait for them to compensate you?

·
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!
5,667 Posts
How long did you have to wait for them to compensate you?
Perhaps 3 weeks, at most. I was thorough & organized w/ the paperwork as-per what was requested.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thank you!
WOW, that is ridiculous. I just got my car back from the dealership and they charged me $189 to replace the rear pads and resurface the rotors. I just filled out the claim form and will mail it tommorow. Try calling around. Another honda dealership wanted to charge me $270. I live in Houston, so there's about six Honda dealers within 20-40 mile of each other.
You can get the claim form at www.accordsettlement.com
I don't think you will get reinburstment is you DIY, not sure.
Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had good luck with Satisfied brand ceramic pads bought from Amazon and also Wearever ceramic pads bought from Advance auto.

Definitely do the work yourself. A 2008 shouldn't need new rotors. How many miles on it?

I wouldn't think you could need new pads yet either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts