Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. My name is Stu and I’m new to driveaccord.net. Before creating this Thread I did my best to search the forums to see if anyone else has brought up this topic. In some cases they have, but I guess I’m looking for a more complete answer if that makes sense.

I own a 2008 Honda Accord that I bought new, which now has roughly 48,000 miles on it. Yes, I do a lot of driving! I have the 4 cylinder 2.4 liter iVTEC 190hp engine with a 5 speed manual. Overall, I really enjoy driving my car, but there’s one issue that I need your (anyone that feels qualified to answer) opinion on.

A few months back, my Low Oil Pressure Indicator flashed momentarily. At that time, there were roughly 43,000 miles on the car. After waiting about 10 minutes, I checked the oil and was surprised to find that I was down an entire quart. The dipstick showed no indication of any oil between the low and high level. Yes, I did wipe down the dip stick once before determining that I was low on oil. The ENGINE OIL LIFE display was at 50 or 60%. I can’t remember exactly. Regardless, I added a quart (Castrol SYNTEC 5W-20) and drove the car to Honda the next day.

I typically park my car in a garage at home or in the same spot at work for over 2 years. Neither place showed any signs of leaked oil.
I brought the car to Honda. They told me that there was a leak between the engine and the transmission, so I left the vehicle for 2 days to address the issue.

I got the car back and was told that I would not have a problem again. A few months later, my Low Oil Pressure Indicator flashed again and again I was down an entire quart. The ENGINE OIL LIFE display was at 50 or 60%. I drove the car to Honda, in which they put me on an Oil Consumption Test. I brought my car to Honda every 1000 miles for 3000 miles. They concluded that the oil in which my engine was burning was ‘acceptable’ by their measures.

I’m now checking the oil after every fill up and have determined that I need to add a quart after every 3100 miles driven. Is this acceptable?

The manual doesn’t state how many miles I should be driving between oil changes, but it does say to get an oil change when the ENGINE OIL LIFE display is at 15%. The head mechanic at the Honda Dealership I’ve taken my car too says to never go by the ENGINE OIL LIFE display and that I should be getting my oil changes every 3700 – 4000 miles. Does anyone agree with this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to respond!

Sincerely,
Stu

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
1. A Toyota tech I know still goes by the 3M/3K rule - even if the dealership said otherwise. I used to follow that rule. I'm cheap now and go by 5K-6K and 5-6M because MM fans have convince me to go further. I'm normally at 25%-30% before a change. I change my own oil and know how a 4K mile oil looks like. I'm cheap 5K-6K.

2. I had great luck with Honda I4s for their entire life with me (5 I4 Hondas since 1988). The V6s are the oil drinker.

3. Oil consumption is now a very common issue in all brands. Call it cost cutting and sloppy manufacturing.

4. What dealers call "acceptable" is OMG WTF for us who are used to no consumption at all. Nissan consider 1 qt per 800 miles to be acceptable (I'm a former QR25DE 2.5L owner). Porsche consider 1 qt every 700 miles to be acceptable. If it's good enough for Porsche, it's good enough for Honda, right?

·
6,322 Posts
Who knows what kind of oil the dealer was using. Prob some cheap generic bulk oil. Which guess what..shows up as engine problems down the road. But difficult to prove right? Thats why many dealers cost cut on el cheapo $20 oil changes. Theres not much for them to upsell on a newer car.

Solution: Buy a jug of oil from Walmart or similiar. Mobil Clean 5000 or Motorcraft syn-blend 5w20 would be my first choices. Both are the only conventional oils that pass Honda's double time heat test. Funny how dealers aren't required to use these oils in their contract agreements.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Neither of mine burn any oil. :dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone that responded!

3. Oil consumption is now a very common issue in all brands. Call it cost cutting and sloppy manufacturing.
I've also heard that it's not uncommon for newer engines to burn through oil, but I've been unable to find it in writing (on the internet). If you've got a link that you could respond with, I'd definitely appreciate it!

2008-11
I4 accords will eat oil of 1qt or less every 3K
It is normal.
Surprised to hear about the leak!!
Good Luck
Thanks for the straight forward response. Although I find it comforting in the sense that it's not only me experiencing the issue, I would prefer not having to deal with the slight paranoia I feel waiting for the red light to flash from my dashboard indicating that my oil pressure is low. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it.

The Honda mechanic assured me that that my engine was sound and as long as I keep up on the basic maintenance, there's no reason why I shouldn't get 250,000 miles out of my engine. I'll do that, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

stu

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
13,914 Posts
I must question if this is proper or not. My 2004 160 HP five speed manual never consumed oil using 7500-8500 mile change intervals with Mobil 1 0W20 and I ran the hell out of it. Maxed out revs was a daily occurrence in at least two to three of the five gears available.
On the highway 3rd gear was maxed often........it never consumed any measurable amount of oil other than when the engine was breaking in the first 3000 miles.

Honda's oil monitor system is superb by all counts, which mine didn't have. A little homework on Google will show anyone that GM and Honda have a truly superb oil life monitor......but it doesn't show if you are low on oil! One MUST use the dipstick. Any mechanic that says different is an idiot......I would NOT let him/her touch my car.

I have read here, and elsewhere, that the oil consumption is up on the newer four cylinders.....for what that's worth.

·
6,322 Posts
As I understand it and someone correct me if I'm wrong the camshaft lobe on the k series is sprayed with oil instead of being submerged in oil like the older Hondas. This makes using a quality oil very important.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has a 2009 TSX with the 2.4K series engine, 6sp manual. At 33000 mi, I have never seen the stick under the full mark. OCIs are done at 7500 using Mobil1 5W-20. The maintence minder usually shows 40% when I perform the OC.
My 2010 Accord LX-S (2.4) has not used any in the first 4000 mi - still with the factory oil. Both cars are driven normally - the Accord maybe a little more aggressively.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I've also heard that it's not uncommon for newer engines to burn through oil, but I've been unable to find it in writing (on the internet). If you've got a link that you could respond with, I'd definitely appreciate it!

stu
No links, but just a collection of things I read, facts, and theories.

Why more now?

1. Cheaper piston rings. In Nissan's case, they switch to a cheaper $0.06 cent ring on the QR25DE produced in 2006. Nissan switch (back) after this problem was discovered.

2. Thin oils. More and more engines are using thinner and thinner oils, for better emission and MPG numbers. The 2011 Accords use 0W instead of 5W. I understand that is cold start, but still. Just an opinion. Back in the old days, Honda engines use 10W.

3. I have said I have "never" had a need to add oil in any of my Honda I4 engines, in-between changes. True. Did it go down from the full mark? I'm sure it did. Did I add oil? No, because I was going to change it soon, so why add fresh one? I used to change 3M/3K miles. Now I do 6M and 5K-6K miles, so at the 3K mark, I may need to add/or top off some, so I don't have to worry about it for a few more months. So maybe the I4s did use oil, and just never noticed it because of the change schedule.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
On my last ~6k run I added about 1/2 quart at around 4k. No oil drips in my garage. I don't think your consumption is excessive but keep an eye on it. FWIW I check all my fluids every time I get fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again to everyone that responded to my thread. No one has said anything about looking into getting rid of the car to eliminate the problem, so I must admit that I feel more at ease about the situation.

I'm not sure which oil the Honda Dealership I've been taking the car too uses, but personally I've been topping it off with Castrol SAE5w-20 when it's needed a quart.

Coincidentally, a co-worker mentioned to me that he's relying entirely on his Oil Life Indicator in his 2011 Ford Mustang (v6) to tell him when the car requires an oil change. He pointed out that his user manual doesn't mention anything about requiring him to actually check the oil level. I've reviewed the pdf version of his manual and he's 100% correct. In my 2008 user manual for the Accord, Honda recommends checking the oil after every fill up. Granted, his Ford Warranty does say that he's responsible for making sure there's oil in the engine, which I feel implies that he needs to check the oil, but that's just my interpretation.

If I only could capture the 'spirit' of my 92 Nissan Pickup... I drove that truck for 12 years, put almost 150,000 miles on it and never had a single problem. Oh well!

stu

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have a v6 so it may be different but at over 100k on the car I think this car burn oil the same as my old 02 did. been very good to me other then some small things

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks again to everyone that responded to my thread. No one has said anything about looking into getting rid of the car to eliminate the problem, so I must admit that I feel more at ease about the situation.

I'm not sure which oil the Honda Dealership I've been taking the car too uses, but personally I've been topping it off with Castrol SAE5w-20 when it's needed a quart.

Coincidentally, a co-worker mentioned to me that he's relying entirely on his Oil Life Indicator in his 2011 Ford Mustang (v6) to tell him when the car requires an oil change. He pointed out that his user manual doesn't mention anything about requiring him to actually check the oil level. I've reviewed the pdf version of his manual and he's 100% correct. In my 2008 user manual for the Accord, Honda recommends checking the oil after every fill up. Granted, his Ford Warranty does say that he's responsible for making sure there's oil in the engine, which I feel implies that he needs to check the oil, but that's just my interpretation.

If I only could capture the 'spirit' of my 92 Nissan Pickup... I drove that truck for 12 years, put almost 150,000 miles on it and never had a single problem. Oh well!

stu
I am not up on new mustangs, they could have a oil level sensor, heck my old 85 XR4ti did but IMO you need to check stick no matter as a senor could go bad . Really should check oil like every week or at least every other fill up .
There a lot of things that can affect oil consumption as already stated oil weight , over the yrs less piston ring tension (for mpg) ,more an more cars peak TQ is a lot higher up rpm range so higher rpm tends to use more oil .
With new oil life indicator your going many more miles then before when 2-3k was norm .
One Honda specific issue might be VTEC itself over time, the valvetrain normal use is with low can mode most of times, if the engine hardly ever hits high enough load to engage high cam, this might put wear patter on valve stem, guides and seal that might make it prone to use more , thats just a guess .

·
Johnnylakis
104 Posts
It is considered "normal" if a car consumes no more than 1 qt per 1,000 miles. I don't consider this normal, but I have experienced that I am down a qt every 3,000 miles.

·
frainc
431 Posts
I have the V6 and use no oil at all. I change mine every 5,000 miles and never added any oil to this car or any Honda I had. And I always change my oil at 5,000 for the past 20 years, never had a problem with any engine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FWIW on my previous car, 95 Eclipse GSX only used 1/2 qt in 5,000 mi. It was this way when I sold it at 275,000 + mi.

My question for those of you who have a vehicle that uses oil.

- How do you treat your car untill it's up to normal operatin temp. I always take it easier untill the engine is up to temp, once the engine's up to temp teh fun starts.

-Although the auto instructor where I work (who does like hondas) does feel it does no damage to get on a motor at any time, there should be a coat of oil between the metal surfaces regaurdless of the engine temp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts