Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to this forum and looking for some information to as why my 08 Accord EX-L I4 190k engine won't start. I recently noticed within the last week or two my engine would have a hard time starting and thought it could be the battery. The battery is a little over 3 years old. When it had trouble starting I gave it a jump from my portable battery jumper box which started just fine. I also noticed that the check engine light would come on after fuel up sometimes and then go away after 50-60 miles of driving or so. Today it wouldn't crank over at all and even tried to jump it with a new battery. The main wheel crank moves barely when we tried to start it. Tried searching the forum to see if anybody else had similar issues.

Could it be the starter?
What other issues should I consider if the engine won't crank over?
How would I know if the engine is seized?

Any help is much appreciated!

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
If you are on your original starter, it is probably dead. It was dying, now it is dead.

Check battery health, battery connections.

What were the code numbers from your check engine light?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are on your original starter, it is probably dead. It was dying, now it is dead.

Check battery health, battery connections.

What were the code numbers from your check engine light?

Yes, I'm on my original starter. I will check the battery health and connections. I unfortunately didn't get the code numbers when the check engine light came on. Having it towed today and will do those checks but I think it is the starter since it's the original.

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
For your reading pleasure, you may want to read through the "rebuild starter" thread on the 7th Gen forum from member @JohnNH

You can sometimes get a starter to keep working by hitting it.

Reactions: SL21

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For your reading pleasure, you may want to read through the "rebuild starter" thread on the 7th Gen forum from member @JohnNH

You can sometimes get a starter to keep working by hitting it.
Thanks RickBlaine for these links and info, we did try hitting it forcefully but it still wouldn't start. I'm definitely buying one from a auto wrecking yard and keeping my old one to rebuild.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,949 Posts
Replace the battery while you're at it. 3 years is max battery life.

Reactions: SL21

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@RickBlaine thanks for all the help and info, replaced my starter with a used (79k) one from a wrecking yard and now it starts just fine.

The check engine light came on after driving it and I had Autozone do a check which came up with P0325 code which stated bank 1 knock sensor 1 circuit for a predetermined period of time.

I wish I would have known this when I had everything torn apart already. LOL

Once again thanks!

@RickBlaine I forgot to ask, is it better to get a genuine honda knock sensor? I see there is a big price difference from $85 down to $15 on Amazon and Ebay.

·
^^vv<><>BA
12,380 Posts
Replace the battery while you're at it. 3 years is max battery life.
What batteries are you buying that you're only getting 3 years out of them? My OEM and Duralast Gold batteries have all lasted 4 to 4.5 years, if not longer.

I'm not the only one who's gotten more than 3 years out of batteries either.

BTW -my 04 Accord was always cited as getting a weak charge when it was checked at the oil change joints. I think I changed the battery out twice (perhaps once) in the 10 years and 100k miles I owned it. My son is driving it now.
I'd get a second opinion. The battery in my '03 Accord lasted 7 years (68K miles). I've never heard of one dying that early unless something was wrong with it from the get go.
On my 2010, my factory battery made it to the 5 year mark before it gave out

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What batteries are you buying that you're only getting 3 years out of them? My OEM and Duralast Gold batteries have all lasted 4 to 4.5 years, if not longer.

I'm not the only one who's gotten more than 3 years out of batteries either.
@namegoeshere I had my battery checked at Autozone and it was good still, glad I didn't have to buy a new one but now I have to replace my knock sensor...ugh!

·
HK Moderator
14,061 Posts
Shoot! My fault. I am sorry. I should have mentioned that if you even sneeze while replacing the starter on the 4 cylinder, your knock sensor and/or knock sensor wire will go bad.

You can do a search here- every single week someone gets the knock sensor code after swapping starters. The Beck/Arnley ones always work- they are $30 after 20% off coupon at Advance Auto. The less expensive ones NEVER work. OEM works fine too- if it is real and not a knock off.

In the JohnNH write-up, he mentions to remove the knock sensor as it will get damaged if you replace the starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts