Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
LEO
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I am in law enforcement and do not have a take home car yet. The other day I want backing out of my driveway and my car shut off and turned back on. It did this two more times in the neighborhood so I took it back home. A week ago while driving the radio just randomly shut off and then turned back on.

The car has 109k miles on it. I'vegas people tell me that it could be the fuel filter or ignition switch. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe the ECU or the main ground wire. Trying to think what they share together that can cause this. I use to have a 95 Grand Am. The ground wire to the starter got stretched from bad motor mounts and every time the engine had big movement the cars power would go off and on.

Maybe rats are under your hood. No clue.

Make sure your battery is secure and the positive and neg are not loose. When the car cut off and on, did all the power cut off and on? The radio as well?

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
This happened to me twice before like 3 years ago. I have no clue what caused it but never happened again, I think I was doing some engine work and might of not secured something.

Btw if you remove the factory ground wire while your car is on it will still run so that's not the problem

·
LEO
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure your battery is secure and the positive and neg are not loose. When the car cut off and on, did all the power cut off and on? The radio as well?
The battery is secure and the radio along with everything else shut off. Then comes back on by itself without me having to crank it

·
Registered
353 Posts
Leave the car running in park. If it only does it while driving, sounds like a loose connection. If not might be the ecu.

I might be wrong on this. But I think there is a main battery cable that goes to the under the hood fuse box. Could be loose as well.

On the older Hondas. They had a main power fuse. Which if that fuse blew, the whole car would have no power. That fuse was located in the engine bay fuse box. Fuse could be in bad shape or loose.

Also keep an eye out for cel. If one does come on, go to Autozone or some thing to get it checked.

·
LEO
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be wrong on this. But I think there is a main battery cable that goes to the under the hood fuse box. Could be loose as well.

On the older Hondas. They had a main power fuse. Which if that fuse blew, the whole car would have no power. That fuse was located in the engine bay fuse box. Fuse could be in bad shape or loose.

Also keep an eye out for cel. If one does come on, go to Autozone or some thing to get it checked.
There was a CEL on but turned off. I will check the fuses out. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a possible chance the cel code is still in the history. I would take it up there and get it checked.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
As a few people have said, check the battery and all connections from the battery to the fuse block ( check for any rodent nests or evidence of rodents under the hood too) If any work has been done under the hood check the ground connections from the engine to the body. Also, have the Battery and Alternator checked, usually that is free at various Auto parts places. Plug in an ODBII scan tool and look to see if there are any pending codes in the ECU.

Check all fuse panels under the hood and inside the car visually for any water leaking or corrosion, make sure all fuses are plugged in tightly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I am in law enforcement and do not have a take home car yet. The other day I want backing out of my driveway and my car shut off and turned back on. It did this two more times in the neighborhood so I took it back home. A week ago while driving the radio just randomly shut off and then turned back on.

The car has 109k miles on it. I'vegas people tell me that it could be the fuel filter or ignition switch. Any advice?

Thanks in advance
They have Accord police cars? Or are you renting

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
429 Posts
What greg1c said about getting the alternator and battery checked. Your battery could have in intermittent short in a cell.

·
LEO
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What greg1c said about getting the alternator and battery checked. Your battery could have in intermittent short in a cell.
I cleaned the air filter and mass air flow sensor and it drove to AutoZone without incident. Battery and alternator are fine. I'm unsure of what is going on with it. The air filter and mass air flow sensor wouldn't explain the electrical issues...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I cleaned the air filter and mass air flow sensor and it drove to AutoZone without incident. Battery and alternator are fine. I'm unsure of what is going on with it. The air filter and mass air flow sensor wouldn't explain the electrical issues...
did you have them check the cel history?

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
take it to the dealer.... worst case scenario they do a service repair on it that you have to pay for since your out of warranty

·
Registered
429 Posts
That kind of short wouldn't necessarily show up in a battery test. Do you have access to another battery that you could throw in it for a while, to see if the problem goes away? If it does, then the battery was the culprit, battery test be damned.

·
LEO
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That kind of short wouldn't necessarily show up in a battery test. Do you have access to another battery that you could throw in it for a while, to see if the problem goes away? If it does, then the battery was the culprit, battery test be damned.
I drove it fifty miles yesterday without issue. I could just buy a new battery if need be

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had a similar issue with a Jeep I owed years back. It turned out to be the fuel filter.
He said it started with the radio going off and on first. Next the whole car was doing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts