Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Honda Accord coupe. About two months ago, I was driving and had my phone plugged into the AUX cord. All of the sudden the sound had cut out and for about 5 seconds it smelled like there was an electrical fire smell. I pulled over and turned my car off and then back on but there was no sound at all... the radio appears to be working showing all the correct displays when trying to use cd, aux, and fm radio but like I said no sound. I then took it to my mechanic so he could look at it and he ruled out all simple problems and said the radio itself had gone bad. I then took it to a local Honda dealership and asked them what I could do and they told me that the only thing they would be able to do was to drive it to a different dealership and they would fix it there. I said perfect lets do that! How much do you think it will be? The lady continued to tell me that the only way they would take it to the other dealer was if I signed a contract saying they would fix it there and bill me the coast after and that it could range anywhere from 70$-700$.... I’m sorry but I am a full time college student and that is just not going to work for me! You can’t just have them look at it and let me know before they fix it...? Her response, well no that’s not really how it works. I’m sorry ma'am that’s the only option I have for you...
So that being said I took matters into my own hands and ordered a new factory radio off eBay. I was in the process of replacing the old one with the new one myself when I realized that there is a small "plug or adapter" that was able to plug into my old one but this new radio doesn’t have a spot for it on the back... I’ve been looking all over for a picture or diagram explaining what each plug does but I can’t find anything! I just want to know if this radio will work without this extra plug or if I will have to order a whole new radio again? So frustrated with this whole situation!!!! If some one can please help me out and tell me what plugs are needed or not that would be great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
More info?

(to anyone who reads this comment, this is my first comment on any auto forum ever. sorry if i don't have the etiquette down!)

the following information would allow other members to be more helpful here:
1) trim level of your car
2) navigation or not
3) dual zone temperature control or not

i can't tell specifically what you're referring to when you say "a small 'plug or adapter'". do you have any photos you can upload?

in terms of general advice, i recommend looking at the service manual. i replaced my radio with an aftermarket unit, and would have been lost without the service manual. here's a link for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/gccjx8t22toz5uw/08-10 Honda Accord SM.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comment!! It is not navigation or dual temp. This is also my first post and I really dont know anything about this kind of stuff. lol So im not sure what a trim level is. To be honest I just looked up a bunch of youtube videos and also read a bunch of blogs on how to relpace the radio... to my surprise it was actually going really well until I saw the different plugs.

What I do know is that the accord I have is the one with 7 speakers... if that helps. I dont have pics right now but I will upload some as soon as I can! If you have any other info on how to help please let me know!

okay so that download that you sent helped a lot! Im pretty sure that its the amplifier plug (F(3P))... is there anyway I can get around with not using it or either somehow hooking it up to this radio with out the outlet...? Im trying to figure out how the person who had it before me got it to work with out having it? thanks agian for responding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it is the amplifier plug, you will need to get the correct radio for it.
That system uses a low level output that is amplified by a factory amp that is located behind the glove box on the right side.

The reason that you will need that radio is that you have a 5 channel system with the subwoofer.

There is a good chance that the amp went bad, not the radio.

By the way, I just picked up the same car for my son. We are planning on doing some extensive stereo upgrades over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have thought this whole time that the radio is fine and it must be a wiring problem or now thinking its the amp... however I took it to best buy to have them look at it and tell me what was the problem and he said that it was the radio.... but im not sure if he even checked the amp! So is there anyway I can check it myself...? If so can you tell me how? I also need to know what I would have to do to replace it with a new one and what kind of amp I will need?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i should have saved myself asking those questions and just asked if you had a premium sound system or not :D

the system diagram on page 23-10 of the service manual shows you the difference between the premium audio system and the normal. it seems you have purchased a radio for the standard audio system (which connects directly to the speakers) when in fact you have a premium audio system (where the radio connects to the external amplifier, and that connects to the speakers). i do not recommend trying to use this radio you purchased. it would be a nightmare trying to rewire back there to bypass the premium sound system's amplifier and the standard radio can't power your speakers properly or your subwoofer at all. definitely a step backwards.

seeing that you have a premium sound system, and the radio itself seemed to be operating fine but there was no sound AT ALL, i agree with mikecu that it's likely the amp went bad. if that's the case, then replacing the radio won't help you, even if had got the radio that goes with the premium sound system.

page 23-70 of the service manual is troubleshooting for your exact scenario. since you said you're new to this stuff, here are my recommendations in order:

1) reinstall your original (premium) stereo, and sell the standard stereo you just bought (sorry, but you don't have a use for it!).

2) check the condition and replace the following fuses if they're blown:
#15 fuse in the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box
#15 fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box
#18 fuse in the driver's under-dash fuse/relay box

if you find + replace some bad fuse and everything works fine again, great! if not, then you will have to take some of the following steps and then potentially replace any blown fuses AGAIN after you're done...

what to do next is your decision, but i only see 2 possibilities as to what the problem is: it's either a bad amplifier, or bad wiring that fried your amplifier. either way, it's a good bet that you'll have to replace the amplifier.

you can decide whether or not to have someone with the know-how follow the troubleshooting guide to diagnose the problem. even if it's not a honda mechanic you can print out the troubleshooting (pages 23-70 to 23-75 of the service manual) and they should be able to follow it (you might also have to help them find the location of the external amplifier and the fuse boxes, also in the manual).

obviously mechanics cost money, but if you have a wiring problem you don't know about, then just installing without fixing the wiring problem will fry your new amp. so that's money and time down the drain. but it's your choice.

either way, i think you'll have to purchase a working amplifier. i don't know the part # off hand, it might be in the manual. here's a potential one for sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261329290008?lpid=82

·
Registered
268 Posts
Only real way to know without taking it to Honda is to replace the amp and see if it works. Im guessing the amp is your problem. you'll need a factory honda amp from your exact trim level car. call some local junk yards and see if you can find one. a new amp from honda is $320, but can be found for cheaper online. the part number is 39186-TA0-A01

·
Registered
14 Posts
I read somewhere on the net that you can replace that factory amp with the Acura 5 channel amp that has more power.

MORE POWER :banana:

I think if I was in your situation, I would cut the low level out wires going into the amp and solder in 5 RCA's to feed to a nice aftermarket 5 channel amp. The difference in the sound would be ORGASMIC. :thmsup:

EDIT

I just found a thread that says the Acura amp cannot be used in the Accord due to it having internal crossovers.
The Honda uses separate crossovers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.