Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday, I was driving to see some family and began misfiring. I had to turn around and head home to not damage anything. The next morning I replaced Coil & Sparkplug #4, and took it to a local shop to get the oil changed. Everything was good for about a day. On Saturday, the Drive light began blinking, and the transmission began acting sporadically, slamming into gears and revving very high. I took it to O'Riley's and got the error: Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance or Stuck Off.

This morning I took it to my local Honda dealer, and they're saying I need a new transmission, and quoted me at +$3.5K. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'll be getting a second opinion soon.

A little more on the car: 2008 V6, 191K, automatic. I bought the car with 93K, and I believe that is when the transmission was last serviced. I know Honda's are very picky about their transmission fluid, so whether or not the transmission was serviced with the correct fluid I have no idea. I was hoping to get this car to 300K, but it is looking bleak... :(

·
Doritos Spinner
3,826 Posts
I mean, the code tells you it's a solenoid problem, so I'd look at that first. I don't think you need a new transmission.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
8th Gen Believer
3,688 Posts
Those transmissions should have fluid drained & filled about every 30k miles, no more than 50k. Whether is a solenoid problem or not, you're killing that gearbox. I'm amazed it lasted this long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe you missed where you stated the current mileage is 191K. That would be ~98K mi since the last service. Math.
So then logically, when should I have serviced it? At 150K miles? I also do a full inspection every other time when I take it in, and never did the recommendation come. I’m sorry but you’re not being very helpful, so unless you have some useful info, I’d appreciate it if you’d just move along.

·
Doritos Spinner
3,826 Posts
I'd be surprised that the Maintenance Minder didn't tell you to replace the fluid.

But yes, fluid colour and smell are good indications. Brown fluid means you need to service it.

Whatever is causing your problem, you should replace the fluid alongside with it. You would need 3 drains and fills - drain the transmission fluid, fill it, drive for a while, and repeat twice more. It could get expensive if you ask someone else to do it, but auto transmission fluid change isn't harder than an oil change.

Sent from GM1917. Technology!

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
So then logically, when should I have serviced it? At 150K miles? I also do a full inspection every other time when I take it in, and never did the recommendation come. I’m sorry but you’re not being very helpful, so unless you have some useful info, I’d appreciate it if you’d just move along.
Your owner's manual has a page on your car's Maintenance Minder system. It tells you when to change ATF based on the code that pops up on your dash- which would have come up in the 100,000 miles (or 93,000 or 98,000) miles of your ownership of the car.

This forum would tell you to have your ATF serviced (3 drain and fill procedures) as soon as you bought the car used, and thereafter every 15,000 - 25,000 miles (one drain and fill).

Every Tom Crook and Harry shop would tell you that you need your ATF changed the minute you drive in, even if it was changed a day earlier (Jiffy Lube, the Honda dealer, etc).

@DARKART is being helpful- this thread will be seen by hundreds of members, and perhaps thousands of non-members (visitors) over the life of the 8th Gen. People should know that you must change your ATF when you get a used car, and every 15,000 - 25,000 miles thereafter. And yes, Hondas are particular about the fluid they like.

Hopefully this is just the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches, and a change of fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
  1. Logically, 30K. 50K at the most - with Honda ATF. What is the fluid condition currently? Is it brown or smell burnt?
    It’s brown, but not too dark. It’s nearly a very dark red, definitely not burnt.

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,129 Posts
If it is brown then you are well past the point of needing to change it. Buy some new ATF and then see the difference.

I had a CL-S with the most notorious plagued transmission (had it rebuilt 3 times). That is why I went to standard because I hate honda auto transmissions. The fluid should never even resemble a brown color.

I find it odd that you have essentially asked for help; then are bent by people who have ridiculed you for the fact that you blatantly said you've neglected the ONLY maintenance (aside from the trans filter if you are very thorough) necessary on the transmission.

Just be happy people are still giving you advice and do the trans fluid change (3 quarts, 3 times). Clear the trans code after that and see if anything changes and go from there. No one is hating on you, we all just find it ironic.

FYI this is what a typical valvebody in a transmission look like:

It is a highway, a network of passages and several valves that all need to work harmoniously in order to physically move the clutches in the transmission properly to engage and disengage the gears. As they progressively work worse and worse the valve body then ends up messing the clutches up. This causes them to deteriorate and small metal shavings then will show up on the magnetic drain plug in the transmission. All of that also wears out the TQ converter also so it;s a domino effect.

Your old fluid has certainly gummed up the inside of the valve body in the trans and that is the heart of the everything. If it is really bad, to clean it properly requires disassembling the entire transmission. But like RickBlaine said, hopefully its just the shift pressure switches. If you pull them out I bet they have some crud in them.

I had a 2002 MDX and we used it to tow all the time for work. The fluid would get worn out in 30000KMS. one time it started to flare on shifting and also would shift erratic and hard. a 3x3 fluid change fixed everything. Not saying it will for you but there is definitely a chance it could.

What people fail to realize is an automatic transmission is more complex than an engine. And engine has several fluids and a transmission has one. It is ESSENTIAL to have that fluid optimal. In my experience Hondas are more picky than other brands when it comes the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is brown then you are well past the point of needing to change it. Buy some new ATF and then see the difference.

I had a CL-S with the most notorious plagued transmission (had it rebuilt 3 times). That is why I went to standard because I hate honda auto transmissions. The fluid should never even resemble a brown color.

I find it odd that you have essentially asked for help; then are bent by people who have ridiculed you for the fact that you blatantly said you've neglected the ONLY maintenance (aside from the trans filter if you are very thorough) necessary on the transmission.

Just be happy people are still giving you advice and do the trans fluid change (3 quarts, 3 times). Clear the trans code after that and see if anything changes and go from there. No one is hating on you, we all just find it ironic.

FYI this is what a typical valvebody in a transmission look like:

It is a highway, a network of passages and several valves that all need to work harmoniously in order to physically move the clutches in the transmission properly to engage and disengage the gears. As they progressively work worse and worse the valve body then ends up messing the clutches up. This causes them to deteriorate and small metal shavings then will show up on the magnetic drain plug in the transmission. All of that also wears out the TQ converter also so it;s a domino effect.

Your old fluid has certainly gummed up the inside of the valve body in the trans and that is the heart of the everything. If it is really bad, to clean it properly requires disassembling the entire transmission. But like RickBlaine said, hopefully its just the shift pressure switches. If you pull them out I bet they have some crud in them.

I had a 2002 MDX and we used it to tow all the time for work. The fluid would get worn out in 30000KMS. one time it started to flare on shifting and also would shift erratic and hard. a 3x3 fluid change fixed everything. Not saying it will for you but there is definitely a chance it could.

What people fail to realize is an automatic transmission is more complex than an engine. And engine has several fluids and a transmission has one. It is ESSENTIAL to have that fluid optimal. In my experience Hondas are more picky than other brands when it comes the transmission.
Thank you for the lecture. This is my first Accord, I never once claimed to be a mechanic, to know anything about transmissions, or how often they need serviced. I said it before, I got a full inspection every other time I brought it in, so every 6-8K or so. Logically, I would hope that when I got it serviced the shop would tell me I needed a transmission service (because I believe shops can be honest, silly me.) I was never was advised to service the transmission. So to come to a community and be ridiculed in the first reply to my post, rather than an actual helpful message, or even constructive feedback, isn't exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you also for the information regarding the transmission as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
"Thank you for the lecture"? This is your response?

You ignored your owner's manual. You failed to maintain your property. You are irresponsible and blame others for your ignorance.

Here at DriveAccord you were given mechanical help. Deal with it.

If you need emotional help, check out the emo community on Facebook.

And oh yes, please, thank you, and you are welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Thank you for the lecture"? This is your response?

You ignored your owner's manual. You failed to maintain your property. You are irresponsible and blame others for your ignorance.

Here at DriveAccord you were given mechanical help. Deal with it.

If you need emotional help, check out the emo community on Facebook.

And oh yes, please, thank you, and you are welcome.
I've taken good care of my Honda, and I never blamed anyone for this mess. I relied on the word of those who know better than I, and depended on them to tell me when and what to do for my car, just like the other 99% of people in the world who are not car gurus, that is my fault. I was never told to service my transmission, so I never did, that is my fault. The manual says to service every 100K, and mine failed at 98K, that is my fault. I now know and have learned that transmissions need serviced every 30K. I wish I would have learned sooner.

Irresponsible? Yeah, maybe. But had I bought a bought a cheap JDM turbo kit, welded it on myself with zero experience, and exploded my engine? Now that sounds be irresponsible.

I'd encourage you to think about the people that come here asking for help as you continue to moderate your site, Rick. I am sure there's plenty of responsible Honda owners that don't know the difference between 4 cylinders and 6 that come here everyday. Take time, be encouraging, and if you have to give criticism, do it constructively. I missed my family Thanksgiving because of this. I am out of a car right now, and I'm pretty upset about it. I have to deal with all the stuff that comes with fixing a car, possibly buying a car, and maybe selling my Honda that I love. Add in what the rest of what life has to offer, work, getting to work, school, bills, etc., and I'm going to be defensive against snarky comments. I'm sorry about that.

I apologize if I came off as rude, arrogant, or over-emotional. I genuinely mean that.

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
I apologize to you. I am sorry. I'll post some helpful write-ups later this evening.

·
Yea I modded my car again
1,129 Posts
Rick thinks about everyone. Do you know how many times I have posted swear words and he has had to reconfigure my post lol

But in all seriousness. You may be dealing with x y and z today but what you write unfortunately is permanent. Everyone here sees each others posts objectively. The poster on the other hand does not.

Either way, let us know how tings go with the car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
and revving very high.............. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? I'll be getting a second opinion soon.
Revving high is a classic sign of a dead transmission. You could try a 3 x ATF fluid change but that's a very low probability that would help.

If it was me I would get a transmission from a junkyard and pay someone to fit it.

Whoever was working on your car should know better and said something to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,945 Posts
So this may be a "Hail Mary" type of process:

1) Get 4 quarts of Honda's DW-1 Automatic Transmission Fluid (part # 08200-9008A ) and perform a drain and fill procedure outlined here: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/diy-atf-change-drain-and-fill.14714/ This will give you 43% new fluid. You may only use 3 quarts, but every now and then someone needs an extra 2-3 ounces, so you may need some of that 4th quart.

2) Change the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.
Go to this thread: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/changed-v6-trans-filter-and-pressure-switches-much-better-performance.112833/

And go to @MikeCz write-up: http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/Pressure.html He mentions how dangerous it is to not change pressure switches. Over time, it can cause clutch pack wear and destroy the transmission....
"Clutch pack life is affected when these sensors drift even a few PSI - no code will be set. Out of tolerance operation of these pressure sensors will cause unnoticed clutch pack wear (Now Proven). The pressure in the clutch packs at full engagement is above 120psi and these sensors require only 27-33 psi to activate, The sensors are used to signal when the clutch pressure has bled down to this level and are above this preset level. Replace them every 50,000 miles or 3 to 5 years."

Then go to HondaPartsNow.com https://www.hondapartsnow.com/ enter your VIN, and search for the correct part numbers for your 8th Gen car. On the 7th Gen V6 engine, they are part numbers
# 28600-RAY-003 (3rd) 7th Gen V6
# 28610-RAY-003 (4th) 7th Gen V6

Again, you want the correct part numbers for YOUR car.

3) Change the transmission filter outlined here: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-generation-tl-2004-2008-93/c-036-diy-transmission-filter-replacement-pics-787078/

This might get the car going. Do all of it at home or at an independent shop- the dealer will just want to put in a new transmission. An indy shop may only charge you 2 hours of labor (less than $250).

@t-rd and other V6 guys who recommend maintenance items, anything to add please? If it does need a rebuild, @t-rd just went through his own rebuild and can tell you the cost and from where the rebuilt transmission should come from.

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
If it drives fine while in D3, then you most likely just need to change out the torque converter clutch solenoid. The TCC clutch is engaged as soon as you hit the 2nd gear while driving in D4 or D. Driving in D3 prevents the TCC from engaging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts