Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Accord Ex-L 4 Cylinder that just shut down at a stop light a couple days ago. The ignition would turn but the car wouldn't start. I had a it towed to a local service station. The next morning the car started, drove about 3 feet and shut off again.

The shop initially thought there wasn't any gas (or the gauge was broke), but that wasn't it. They've determined that it may be a wiring harness issue and are trying to determine what wire is damaged. They believe it was a rodent eating a wire. Additionally, the technician said he could smell something burnt.

Does this end up being a big deal and costing a lot of money? I've seen a wide range of answers when I've done a search. Additionally, the service station is charging me $100 per hour to diagnose the problem, though they claim they've worked 4 or 5 hours, but have only charged me for 3. Are they taking me for a ride?

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,068 Posts
I'm not a mechanic so take my post as a bunch of wild guesses, but that does sound like they're padding their pockets a bit. $100 an hour to diagnose? So you've basically already spent $300 to not have a fix. I would have just taken it to the dealer if I wanted to pay that much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 2009 Accord Ex-L 4 Cylinder that just shut down at a stop light a couple days ago. The ignition would turn but the car wouldn't start. I had a it towed to a local service station. The next morning the car started, drove about 3 feet and shut off again.

The shop initially thought there wasn't any gas (or the gauge was broke), but that wasn't it. They've determined that it may be a wiring harness issue and are trying to determine what wire is damaged. They believe it was a rodent eating a wire. Additionally, the technician said he could smell something burnt.

Does this end up being a big deal and costing a lot of money? I've seen a wide range of answers when I've done a search. Additionally, the service station is charging me $100 per hour to diagnose the problem, though they claim they've worked 4 or 5 hours, but have only charged me for 3. Are they taking me for a ride?
in short, yes they are taking you for a ride. I would ask them for detailed documentation showing who worked in it, what they did, why they did it, how they did it, if they are going to be *******, I would be one right back...worst comes to worst..pay with a credit card.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Bob, frankly I'd be astonished if a "local service station" would begin have the equipment, much less technicians with the knowledge or experience necessary, to correctly diagnose the computerized ignition and fuel-delivery systems in your Honda. They may well be acting in good faith, but -- as should be obvious by now -- they are experimenting with potential solutions at your expense. You, too, however bear responsibility for allowing this to occur. Work out a compromise on the time and effort involved, and move your car to one of the hundreds of competent Honda repair facilities in Virginia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. It's one of the small chain places we have around northern virginia (family owned and 5 or 6 shops). They've told me now that they're replacing two coils and have only charged me for 2 hours of finding out what it was (which is less than I thought they'd need and had already charged me). We'll see if that works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.