Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
Don't see how that fits. Pop your hood and you can see there's no way a right angle would work. You also need 2 hoses, one I see in the picture, the other that feeds coolant to the throttle body I don't. Again, pop your hood and you'll see there are 2 hoses attached to the stock intake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where is the the other tube?
what if i just got an air filter, an MAF sensor connector tube, plus some clamps would that suffice? i want a barrier thing though like the K&N typhoon does.

Spectre Performance 8771 Black Intake Tube Coupler
by Spectre
3.7 out of 5 stars (3)
$10.52

Spectre Performance 9405 Air Flow Sensor Mount Tube
by Spectre Performance
5.0 out of 5 stars (3)
$39.99$29.89

Universal High Performance Blue 3'' Inlet Cone Dry Flow Air Filter Oil Free
by Fastwayracer
5.0 out of 5 stars (1)
$14.99$9.99

im thinking of just replacing the intake box with a filter+MAF sensor tube. wouldn't that be the same thing without a chrome tube?

·
4,737 Posts
Ghetto modding never ends well. Here's what the second tube looks like (the thinner one): It runs from the side of the engine block to the throttle body. Takeda give you a small length of thin hose and fat hose to replace the stock hose assembly.

Auto part Wire Fuel line Exhaust manifold Cable

With that ebay link, there's still no way a 90 degree angle would work. The i4 bend is a lot more complex than just that:

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Trunk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info drowned.
that takeda looks shorter than average CAI, but longer than typhoon? is there any reason to go under the car to install that? are there any CAI that run down to wheel level for our car (i4sedan 8thgen)? i definitely want to install myself, and don't want any risk of hydrolocking so the takeda would be perfect, but it just looks to me like it can be so simple to assemble something with metal piping and a filter.

if i were to choose a legit one though id get one of those. how much does that barrier wall with the K&N helps in terms of intake air temperature, as opposed to the takeda or other without that wall?

lol i can see why itd be safe to say that ghetto modding should be avoided, but say for keeping everything else stock and just adding a new filter+sensor.. what else is necessary and why?

if i were to build an intake i guess it would require at least one 33° bend, but also a smaller tube connector. i wish i knew exactly what i needed to buy parts to mke my own intake. tubes, connectors, adapters, size, filter, tools etc. this would be my first performance mod

·
4,737 Posts
K&N's heatshield I think bolts on to one of the bolt holes that holds the stock airbox. I don't believe it'll make any real difference. Once you remove the stock airbox you'll see that there's a breather tube that's connected to a scoop just above front grille, meaning that the air isn't stagnant right there.

Realistically you should just save up and buy a premade SRI. That area of the engine bay is fairly tight, and the filter barely fits (1cm of clearance from bottom of filter to chassis). If you were to do it yourself, there's too much to mess up.

Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Honda-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e75340698&vxp=mtr

That's just the pipe. You'd still need bolts/washers as well as the 2 hose segments and some hose clamps and the filter. And the rubber adapter/boot that actually attaches the intake to the throttle body (which you can see in my pic above). Ballpark you're looking at $40 for the pipe and then probably another $40-50 for the filter and fittings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i like the takeda http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKEDA-2008...iter_Display:2.4L&hash=item35c2142efb&vxp=mtr
bc it has the metal tube prob cools air down. the tube is longer than the typhoon too, and filter is fatter.

are there any others you recommend? (top of the line/ cheapest reasonable)

but people keep saying you can build this sort of thing for under 100... do you know how? i'll pay you if u teach me how to make it for under 100 lol

·
4,737 Posts
Brand doesn't really matter, they all do the same thing. SRI is easier to install than CAI, because it's smaller and no fiddling with bumper removal is needed.

I have no clue how someone could build this at home. Maybe use some clothes drier exhaust flexi-piping?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
metal vs plastic tubing? metal gets hot but also stays cool.

-_____-.. are intakes useless??!??

cold air intake would def make a little more torque Imo. I just wanna get some speed increase without altering the engine too much or getting an exhaust. i assume intake exponentially is better with exhaust and headers also.

just been thinkin about this intake thing alot. if alone it would be worth like a little over $100 investment i'm definelyl down.

IT MAY BE worth it to pay 200 for less than $100 worth of hardware for the ease of mind and time saved during install, and quality construction as opposed to a risky DIY project

·
4,737 Posts
Yeah the install process is the same for both KN and Takeda (minus the heatshield, which Takeda doesn't have). I was using that video to help me during my install, because Takeda's instructions ****ed (crappy photo quality and left a few steps out).

FYI have a towel underneath the thin hose before you disconnect it. It will leak some coolant.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah the install process is the same for both KN and Takeda (minus the heatshield, which Takeda doesn't have). I was using that video to help me during my install, because Takeda's instructions ****ed (crappy photo quality and left a few steps out).

FYI have a towel underneath the thin hose before you disconnect it. It will leak some coolant.
I heard you need one zip tie for one of the hoses too.. because Takeda doesnt bring one for the engine i think

·
Registered
278 Posts
Noted. Again thanks.

do yall think the heat shield is significant enough to consider buyin another model or building the heat shield?
I asked the same thing, and I live in South Florida where it gets extremely hot quite often, everyone said it doesnt make much of a difference...

However when I install it, and I see my temp is going crazy, I will just buy it and install it

So you should be good

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.